• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Samsung 840 pro vs evo

smodtactical

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 26, 2010
Messages
181
I searched many threads for about the 840 pro vs evo and wanted to know if you thought that for $30 more for the pro its worth going pro vs saving that and going with evo. This is for 250ish gb drives.

I understand the differences in terms of MLC vs TLC.

But one specific question I had was, this ram caching technology that EVO has, is that also present in the pro model? If not, can I safely use the pro without a UPS? And be safe from possible data corruption? I understand ram caching can lead to corruption in the case of power loss.

I plan to use this drive as a OS and apps drive on a primarily gaming home system.

Thanks!
 
this ram caching technology that EVO has, is that also present in the pro model?

No. The Pro does not currently have the caching software. However you can do the same with PrimoCache.

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/download.html

If not, can I safely use the pro without a UPS?

If you turn on the delayed writes from caching software on the EVO (or use PrimoCache with the Pro) you should do that with a UPS if you care about the data you are writing.

I use PrimoCache on several machines on my software development drive. The thing about that is it really would not cause a disaster if everything was lost since I check my code into svn several times a day. Sure it would be a pain to have to rebuild 7 million lines of code but its pretty much automated.
 
So if I don't cache anything with my SSD on my ram, then is using SSD without a UPS as safe as a HDD without a UPS?
 
So if I don't cache anything with my SSD on my ram, then is using SSD without a UPS as safe as a HDD without a UPS?

A current generation SSD (especially one from Samsung) is more safe than a hard drive. However just like every other storage device you should backup if you care about your data.
 
Back
Top