Samsung 840 Pro - New build issues

mhenley

[H]ard|Gawd
This is my first time using SSDs, so I will start by admitting that I don't know everything, and I'm not sure where to go from here. I just built a new gaming rig, and after dialing in my OC I decided to test other components. This is where things started to go wrong.

MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
Intel 4770k @ 4.5GHz
2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Elite
2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
2x Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001
2x Seagate 1TB ST1000DM003
Corsair RM850 PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Sony Optiarc DVD writer
WD Green 2TB (temporary)

Optical drive and WD are on the ASMedia ports, all others are on Intel ports. SSDs are on 1 and 2. After installing the OS and all proprietary software (MSI Live Update, Samsung Magician, etc...) I did the necessary tweaks to the OS in Samsung Magician, and tried to run a performance benchmark. It stuck at 7% but did show ~80MB/s seq. write. CrystalDiskMark confirmed that write number, but showed a nice ~530MB/s seq. read.

Updated to latest Intel RST drivers, Samsung Magician claims it cannot communicate with one of my SSDs on boot, software shows both are present but lists one of the serial numbers twice with no communication. 1TB drives no longer present. Uninstalling RST reverts back to original.

Changed to the Microsoft AHCI driver knowing that it is not known for performance, SSDs now bench at 280/250 through Samsung Magician, numbers confirmed in CrystalDiskMark. Magician also says that SATA3 is available, but not connected, which explains the numbers I would expect from a SATA2 connection.

Rather than installing the full RST package, I downloaded just the driver, same issues (all of them) as when I installed the full package.

BIOS recognized everything perfect, and controller is set for AHCI.

I've never seen anything like this before. Thoughts?

You didn't mention how you were using the SSD's, RAID or JBOD (in AHCI)?

My pet hate is these boards and chipsets that claim to or do need BS software like RST just access the F...ing drives.

Anyway, put the BIOS to AHCI and NO RAID, remove (unplug) the HDD's if you are running RAID and boot. You should be able to get 500MB/sec R/W (these are ballpark figures) of speeds on each SSD, if not, clear out any bloatware, this includes Samsung software and RST. Test again and report findings.

If you want to run RAID with the HDD's, then look at a 2 or 4-port SATA HBA. If you want RAID on the SSD's then back to the on-board ports and expect to deal with software shit like RST.

I am glad I stayed away from these shitty chipsets and their software dependance. C606 & 5400 for me.

I don't get the point of loading RST or Magician? I've got a z87 Pro with 3 840's on three of the Intel ports in R0 in BIOS. I haven't loaded RST or Magician and I have not benchmarked, but the games load like they're on a cartridge from my Atari 800 days. Why is it necessary to load those programs?

@Lost-Benji, I was hoping to get the performance I wanted without having to put them into a RAID, each disk is currently partitioned as an individual simple. I will try to isolate the SSDs on the controller and report back with my findings.

@Shotglass01, Intel RST includes an AHCI controller driver as well as increased control over the hardware and how it interacts with connected devices. Samsung Magician provides maintenance tools, health status, access to SMART, access to firmware updates, benchmark tools, and more.

Intel RST includes an AHCI controller driver as well as increased control over the hardware and how it interacts with connected devices. Samsung Magician provides maintenance tools said:
Never needed AHCI driver for W7 and above. I guess you do get some options with RST on connected devices, but I guess I never needed that. For the Magician, you probably don't want to use SMART on SSD's. I think this is where we split. I like to keep as much down to native as possible. So I suppose I never wanted the firmware, health status, etc. Benchmark tools are everywhere though.

Drive isolation didn't result in any improvement, so I did another fresh Windows install but rather than installing the drivers MSI provided I went directly to Intel RST, speeds are now as they should be.

Listen I can't recommend connecting ANY HD devices to the ASmedia ports at all, unless you've run out of sata inputs. It's kinda unfortunate you need so many, because they best thing to do is completely disable the ASmedia controller, imo.

Windows 7 onwards already packs the AHCI driver, you would have needed it at installation of the OS otherwise.

Turndown OC to stock. Reinstall then turn on OC.
Other things to check.
BIOS UPDATES
DRIVE FIRMWARE
LOADING INTEL/MOBO DRIVERS DURING INSTALL

Back