Samsung 840 non-Pro 500GB $260

Thanks for the deal. I was looking for a 500GB SSD for weeks now.
Waited until the 840 went back under $270. Pow!

Last edited:
Whats the practical saturation for a embeded controller guys (Z77, etc)? Basically I used my 1680ix in the past, but I'd imagine raid 0 4 of these non pro, would essentially max out the PCIE bus anyhow, so no reason to buy the pro model in this scenario correct? I need 2TB of storage, I know SSD is about 470GB.

Thanks!

Soooo tempting to get one of these to use as my Steam drive, but I wouldn't be able to keep as many games on there as I'd like...how long until 1TB SSDs, I wonder?

Soooo tempting to get one of these to use as my Steam drive, but I wouldn't be able to keep as many games on there as I'd like...how long until 1TB SSDs, I wonder?
Could always pick up another one if you have the cash. Almost considering doing that... I could barely fit the OS + programs + Steam/misc games on one of these (not my whole library, but the games I ever actually play).

I'll probably just keep the OS on my m4 but I could probably find a use for that somewhere else. And having 1TB SSD sounds really tempting.

EDIT: Trim with RAID 0 difficult to get working on Z68?

If I compared this to my 120 gig Vertex 3, if we dont look at the storage difference, is this a faster drive?

Well I was trying to save to a Titan card, but this is too good to pass up.

Whats the practical saturation for a embeded controller guys (Z77, etc)? Basically I used my 1680ix in the past, but I'd imagine raid 0 4 of these non pro, would essentially max out the PCIE bus anyhow, so no reason to buy the pro model in this scenario correct? I need 2TB of storage, I know SSD is about 470GB.

Thanks!

The non pro uses TLC nand which may be a concern if you write *lots* of data. But yes 4 of these in raid 0 would pretty much max out any embedded controller.

You have to inject a modified Intel OROM into your motherboard's BIOS - which isn't too terribly hard.

http://www.win-lite.de/wbb/board208...pci-rom-modules-of-an-ami-phoenix-award-bios/

I've done it with my Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 a few times for the past few BIOS releases - in fact I just did it for the most recent BIOS release last night. :)
I have an Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, which seems to be quietly dying (or at least, certain things like Realtek are malfunctioning). Figure I might as well wait two months to see how Haswell performs/overclocks before replacing it though.

Seems there are additional steps for flashing P8 boards: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1726429

2-3 months of TRIM even worth the effort?

Though, the whole OOS thing kind of presents a problem.

Back