Samsung 30” LCD Supports DisplayPort Interface

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung Electronics has developed the industry's first liquid-crystal display panel with a DisplayPort interface. Mass production is scheduled to begin in the second quarter of 2008.

Samsung's DisplayPort-enabled 30-inch LCD was a joint undertaking with Genesis Microchip Inc.. It requires a single DisplayPort interface, instead of the two DVI ports now used. One chip can transmit graphics data at 10.8 Gbits/second, a feat that would normally require at least three DVI or four LVDS interface chips. The new LCD also taps the company's proprietary Super Patterned Vertical Alignment liquid-crystal technology to enable a 180-degree viewing angle and 300 nits of brightness.

180 degree viewing angle S-PVA? :confused:

Newer tech or just more viewing angle BS? :D

Hopefully the next generation of video cards out will support the DisplayPort..

Sounds nice but if this 30 inch Samsung display port model isn't LED backlit then it wont matter how great 10-bit color is.

At least they came up with an intuitive name like "DisplayPort" rather than the "DIPOIF" Interface. Probably only take till 2012 before these start showing up on all high-end video cards.

I'm not certain if they're mutually exclusive, but I was kind of hoping they'd use HDMI....it'd be nice to make TV/AUDIO/COMPUTER all use the same cable.

That said, I agree this is good news, though until monitors that require that bandwidth drop below a grand, I'm not likely to bite.

What are they talking about with dual DVI cables :confused:

What are they talking about with dual DVI cables

It's worded poorly.

Dual-Link DVI has the capacity of two cables, but it's crammed into one higher density connector and wire.

It's worded poorly.

Dual-Link DVI has the capacity of two cables, but it's crammed into one higher density connector and wire.

That's what I thought. I think they worded it on purpose so that the new technology has a greater "impact"

I'm not certain if they're mutually exclusive, but I was kind of hoping they'd use HDMI....it'd be nice to make TV/AUDIO/COMPUTER all use the same cable.

That said, I agree this is good news, though until monitors that require that bandwidth drop below a grand, I'm not likely to bite.
The point of DisplayPort is that there is no license fee that has to be paid for each sold unit. HDMI has pretty hefty license fees. Also, from what I see in the Wikipedia article, is that the newest version (1.1) has support for HDCP encryption, which would mean that Premium content protected media could be played through it. Also it has it's own encryption standard, which I would guess will be seen as an allowed protected channel.

aside from the better monitor specs (because it is new tech), does the displayport offer anything over dual link DVI? I guess any real world advantage? I mean for the gamer in me. So no need for copy protected DVDs etc.

Back