Samsung 245BW or...

sockhead

Weaksauce
Hey guys, the local future shop is having the 245BW on sale for 400 dollars flat this boxing day, and I'm tempted to get it (upgrade from my 19" Sony HS95P). The only issue is, that I've been eyeing the LG 246WP for quite a while, and was actually my first choice. Futureshop doesn't seem to sell the 246WP anymore... I asked my friend who works there about it, and he says that it's because they're coming out with a NEW 24" LG for 2008. It will probably have the same panel, with a slightly changed design. It will probably retail for 600 when it is first released.

Should I hold off, and spend 200$ more for the LG, or is the price difference not worth it? I primarily use the monitor for PC games, videos, etc., and I'm coming from a glossy type screen that I love.

Check out the thread about it here on the forums. Most people say it's a pretty solid monitor for any even better price.

Can't really be beat for the price and it's an MVA panel, so.

For the 50,000 time, the text and picture on that LG 246 are not as sharp as a TN or IPS panel, the pixel response is too slow for FPS gaming as well, the 245bw is just fast enough for half decent FPS gaming.

For the 50,000 time, the text and picture on that LG 246 are not as sharp as a TN or IPS panel, the pixel response is too slow for FPS gaming as well, the 245bw is just fast enough for half decent FPS gaming.

What the heck, pixel response is the last thing you need to worry about. The #1 thing is input lag for FPS.
I believe the LG 246 is the fastest of the *VA's, while the 245bw is the fastest for the TN's. There's a guy with picture evidence and he found the 246 had ~22ms (which is incredible for VA panels). The Benq, in the same review, came in at 33ms (which is a bit slower). OTOH, TFT Central has the numbers for the TN-panel 245bw as 7.5ms - which is even better.

If there's a faster VA panel, I'd really be interested in hearing about it.

I know what the numbers are, I've owned a LG 246WP and it doesn't matter how slow or fast the pixel response is, the monitor was unusable for me because the text was too hard to read compared to a TN or IPS panel, it's just not as a sharp.

I'm not really concerned with response time, since I'm pretty used to gaming on my HS-95P and it has PISS POOR response time. Really, I'm looking for the one that just has a better look/feel to it. So the image is nicer looking, the frame is solid, you know... the monitor that just doesn't look cheap.

I hate being inflammatory with a response, but...

1) I enjoy FPSes.
2) I have a LG 246WP
3) I do NOT have issues with pixel response, input lag, OR text sharpness.

*note* I am connecting it via DVI, from a GF8800GTX, running at 1920x1200/60Hz

Back