Samsung 245B just died...

velusip

[H]ard|Gawd
Samsung 245B, 24 inch, 1920x1200, TN panel.

It was a lot less dramatic than I hoped, to be honest. It simply went black. It did not dim or buzz or smoke. I was simply editing a plaintext file and it went black. The monitor is still detected by whatever computer I plug it into and can be configured via software, so I'm guessing any one of; the inverter is bad, the cathode backlight burned out, or some other cap went bad. I haven't opened it yet to look... I've never had a monitor fail on me before so I have no experience with fixing them, but I know enough to figure it out. Ive been using this ever since I switched from a CRT many years ago. Can it be repaired easily? Is it worth it?

I can't afford to buy another so I'm using a loaner 15inch VGA LCD right now. It sucks so much to see my once crispy-clear LCD sitting dormant.

If I have to get rid of it I'll just return it to the store I bought it from and leave it on the counter. Apparently this thing costs money to dispose of so they can deal with it. :mad:

Just tore through it with my multimeter. No expanded caps, fuses working, but the tubes themselves look a bit black around the ends. It could be that they are drawing a bit too much power and the circuitry is turning itself off.

Unfortunately the tubes are the most difficult to find replacements for unless I can find a smashed 245B with some tubes intact.

Anyone got a cracked 245B or 245BW?

Back