• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Samsung 226BW and Ghosting Issue...

RybakT

n00b
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
12
I just purchased the Samsung 226BW 22" display based on the many positive posts and reviews. I recieved the display yesterday plugged it in, checked for any dead pix (none) and fired up CS:S. First 5 minutes was great but then I noticed this odd fading around object and/or models. It really started bugging me so I started my own game to do some testing and sure enough it's ghosting pretty bad. This is not my first LCD so I'm really surprised that such a highly recommended monitor is performing so poorly. To show you what I'm seeing I took my digital camera and recorded a video of the Samsung 226BW and my old 19" Acer AL1916.

http://www.rybak.tv/junk/samsung-acer.wmv (14MB)

In the first half (Samsung) of the video you can clearly see the fading behind the smoke stack on the building. The second video (Acer 5ms) does not exhibit the same behaviour.

Any body know why the Samsung is performing so poorly? Oh and the panel is a model C.
 
Sorry I can't help .. have you contacted where you bought it to replace it? Unfortunately it seems hit or miss with the 226bw. I also have a C panel, after calibration with the Spyder2express, the colors etc are great and banding is limited. I did have to enforce vsync at the nvidia control panel to stop screen tear.

I have a few other issues with this monitor as well. I am thinking about returning for another to see if I have issues or not .

thanks,
Crowley
 
I picked it up from Newegg...I'm going to see if I can return it and get an Acer 22"...

As for the VSync, I have it disabled in the game and I'm allowing the drive setting to be controlled by the application.
 
The ghosting must be the by product of the 'C' panel. I have not seen a single post by people who purchased a 226BW made with a 'S' panel that cited ghosting or streaking in games.

Rather than a 22" Acer I recommend you give the HP W2207 a try instead. Many people who were considering the 226BW and didn't want to deal with Samsung's panel lottery gave this model a try and had no regrets. I purchased the W2207 from Circuit City last night to replace my Viewsonic VX2235 (which was also excellent in games) and was blown away by the W2207's superior image quality and features. The thread below is filled with posts by people who are rather pleased with their W2207...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1179531
 
Has to be the C Panel i got an S and it works great... try sending it back.
 
Yeah...I just filed a RMA with Newegg. I can't believe Samsung is using LCD displays that vary so much in performance. I always used SyncMaster CRT monitors and had great success with them but If Samsung will pull this kind of crap...the 226BW will be my last Samsung product.
 
have you tried checking if the option for RTA is enabled in the OSD (it might be in the factory OSD perhaps)??? If that doesnt help, it might be a fault model
 
Interesting...

I checked and RTA was on ON...I set it to OFF and the ghosting is gone!!!

What's interesting is that my coworker who was lucky enough to get a S model has it set to ON but no ghosting.
 
Interesting...

I checked and RTA was on ON...I set it to OFF and the ghosting is gone!!!

What's interesting is that my coworker who was lucky enough to get a S model has it set to ON but no ghosting.

That doesn't make sense, RTA on is supposed to give higher response time, how could shuting this off improve ghosting?
 
I probably shouldn't have used the term "ghosting" to describe this as it's not exactly the same effect as I've experienced on the very early LCD's. With ghosting you would see a sort of smudge behind a moving object, similar in colour as the object. But what I see with the RTA on is a sort of halo (lighter pixels) behind moving objects. It's almost as if this Response Time Accelerator is brightening up the changing pixel even more in hopes of tricking the eye into not seeing the smudge that ghosting might create. That's just my theory :D

samsung226bw_rta-on.jpg


But like I said when I turn RTA off I don't see this halo effect nor any ghosting. So right now I'm satisfied with the 226BW and will keep it. But I have a friend with an S model screen and the halo effect is no existent with RTA on. Because of this I don't think I'll every buy a Samsung again. They either sell the same product capable of the same performance to everybody or they call it a different model and charge less. I would have gladly paid a little more to get the S.
 
it's been seen before which is why i suggested it would be worth checking the option :) The Asus MW221U has a similar issue. It's down to the aggressive use of overdrive and the "overshoot" caused by poor control and integration of the RTC with the panel. So what you're seeing is an overshoot, characterised commonly by white halo-ing and sometimes "ghosting" in front of moving images. I believe the C version of the SM226BW probably uses the same CMO panel as the Asus, and so with both models, this effect can be seen when the monitors overdrive option (on the Samsung it's labelled as RTA) is turned on.

Glad to hear it's helped sort it out :)
 
it's been seen before which is why i suggested it would be worth checking the option :) The Asus MW221U has a similar issue. It's down to the aggressive use of overdrive and the "overshoot" caused by poor control and integration of the RTC with the panel. So what you're seeing is an overshoot, characterised commonly by white halo-ing and sometimes "ghosting" in front of moving images. I believe the C version of the SM226BW probably uses the same CMO panel as the Asus, and so with both models, this effect can be seen when the monitors overdrive option (on the Samsung it's labelled as RTA) is turned on.

Glad to hear it's helped sort it out :)


What is weird though is that I have a C panel and the RTA is turned to on and I dont have this particular issue .. I will agree with any statement that I'm not sure I'll buy as samsung again or any other companies monitor that makes it a guessing game on which panel you will get.

Crowley
 
i believe it's a new CMO (Chi Mei Optoelectronics) version

so the thread has established that both A and C suffer from defficiencies then? (although as the S becomes a minority the A and C will more become the par as if the S never existed......unfortunately aside from in glowing reviews).
 
This weekend I brought over my friends 226BW with the S panel to run on my system. I wanted to perform a somewhat controlled test and use both monitors on the same PC. For my gaming PC I run an AMD X2 4200+, 2GB RAM, 7800GTX video and X-Fi sound card on WinXP Pro (SP2).

The model with the S panel behaves completely differently when RTA is on. There is no halo or any kind of ghosting present. Turning it off gives me pretty much that same results as on both panels but they're not as good as when RTA is on, on the S panel.

Having done this I personally feel that Samsung has played a dirty marketing game. They released a superb monitor with the S panel to major review sites, put a few of them on the market and then once the word got out at how good they are Samsung flooded the market with inferior units. I'm sure they'll make a lot of money this time around but in the long run they'll lose customers like myself who don't like to be tricked.
 
Bump, but i have the exactly the same problem with my 226BW A-panel. According to some other A-panel owners, they hav had this problem as well, but it just suddenly stoped happening.

Im thinking of returning me display, but other then this problem, i realy like it:confused:
 
They either sell the same product capable of the same performance to everybody or they call it a different model and charge less. I would have gladly paid a little more to get the S.

QFT. This panel lottery shit doesn't make any sense. "Let's sell an inferior performing product under the same model number to save some dough at the cost of bad press, customer loyalty, and lost business to competing products."
 
I had exactly the same problem with a C panel, excessive overshoot on the RTA caused a sparkly effect that was more noticeable than mild ghost. Could be that Samsung have not properly calibrated their RTA for the C and A panels but only for the S? Slight differences (even though they are all 5ms panels) could be causing these problems.

I returned the monitor.
 
I have the same issue reported in the above picture, and believed it was some kind of ghosting..
On the other hand I have the monitor for about 3months now. Do you guys believe that returning the monitor to samsung and hoping to be fixed is the best option, or is there any driver fix thats gets the job done?
 
anyone know if the samsung 226cw or the other "glossier" version is made by chei ?
 
cw = samsung panel. Having said that, some people allude to the cw as having some ghosting issues, not found on the bw samsung panel
 
You are exactly right. I got 226BW with different Model , one with


LS22MEWSFVIXAA (6 months ago)

another recently bought with

LS22MEHSFVIXAA (1 month ago)

The new one 's display is more brighter and color is more vivid with the same configuration, digital input , brightness, contrast ration etc. I am so angry because I dual my system and found out the displays are different, the worst of all I can not find a fking forum to ask for help in Samsung Web Site. What a crappy service I am getting.

At the beginning, the resolution is off so much and I got it fixed with new graphic driver from Nvideo (7900GS) and they provide instant answer to your question, nice service.

Now I don't know what to do since if that is the case, there is no method can used to fix the difference!!!
 
I have the new Samsung 226CW display. I don’t know what panel it has or how to find out but… I was looking at the Radio Times listing webpage and noticed a red blur when I scrolled up and down. Switching RTA off fixed the issue, should I send it back? I don’t play game but do watch movies on the screen. I haven’t noticed the issue on other web pages yet so it must be the grey and white they use. Here is the link for you all to check it. Just scroll up and down or use the slider.

http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsS...v_listings_single.jsp&jspError=/jsp/error.jsp
 
I have the new Samsung 226CW display. I don’t know what panel it has or how to find out but… I was looking at the Radio Times listing webpage and noticed a red blur when I scrolled up and down. Switching RTA off fixed the issue, should I send it back? I don’t play game but do watch movies on the screen. I haven’t noticed the issue on other web pages yet so it must be the grey and white they use. Here is the link for you all to check it. Just scroll up and down or use the slider.

http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsS...v_listings_single.jsp&jspError=/jsp/error.jsp

You should return it asap. The 226CW has bad colors and quite a bit of input lag also. I much better choice would be the 2253BW which is Samsung's newest 22 inch lcd or the new 22 inch LG.
 
Back
Top