Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

Great screenies Diabolikul :) I would appreciate if anyone could show some screenies of the 360 and PS3 runing on the monitor

Wow, there are definitely some purists on this forum, eh?

I guess, being into my 30's now, I have a somewhat different perspective on life in general. As it relates to this monitor, it just is what it is. If it isn't what you want, then don't buy it. If you need 1:1 mapping, find another monitor that fits your needs. Really, the hostility and such is unnecessary.

Samsung doesn't suck. This monitor just doesn't fit your needs. It is quite a capable piece of equipment at a really good price point. Sure, you can find other monitors close in price that have 1:1 mapping, but then some of their other specs don't meet this one either, so it's a trade off.

Nvidia drivers have that option in them, while ATI don't appear to. So, does ATI suck? No.. it's just not what you need.

If you had a really high end monitor with all the bells and whistles sitting next to this 226, then it would probably look like junk. But it costs a 3rd of the "best". I was looking at the BenQ 241 before this.. that's a $900 monitor. This a $350 monitor.

It just is what it is. There's no reason to hate on it. If you have some constructive comments, then place them. But saying a company sucks because it doesn't meet your needs is sort of sophomoric.

I'm not a purist, really. I have a high def plasma in my living room and if I need to watch a movie or play my Xbox at the absolute best resolution, there is no way I'm plugging it into a 22 inch PC widescreen LCD.

If you need to play games non-stretched, just find a different monitor. Or deal with it being stretched... simple fix!

It is easy for us all to get caught up in specifications and in doing so, really scrutinize those aspects which are a little lacking. But, try to see the big picture. There are many positive traits about this monitor. See it for what it is and then make your decision.

If I nitpicked every little thing that might be wrong in my choice of a wife, I may never have married the most amazing woman I've ever met. In fact, I might never have gotten married at all. Nothing is perfect. Not monitors, nor women.

See the big picture and make your choice!

Great screenies Diabolikul :) I would appreciate if anyone could show some screenies of the 360 and PS3 runing on the monitor

Thanks! No problem.

I haven't gotten around to putting the CRT up and doing the more precise lag testing. I'd rather play some games right now! ;) :D

Wow, there are definitely some purists on this forum, eh?

I guess, being into my 30's now, I have a somewhat different perspective on life in general. As it relates to this monitor, it just is what it is. If it isn't what you want, then don't buy it. If you need 1:1 mapping, find another monitor that fits your needs. Really, the hostility and such is unnecessary.

Samsung doesn't suck. This monitor just doesn't fit your needs. It is quite a capable piece of equipment at a really good price point. Sure, you can find other monitors close in price that have 1:1 mapping, but then some of their other specs don't meet this one either, so it's a trade off.

Nvidia drivers have that option in them, while ATI don't appear to. So, does ATI suck? No.. it's just not what you need.

If you had a really high end monitor with all the bells and whistles sitting next to this 226, then it would probably look like junk. But it costs a 3rd of the "best". I was looking at the BenQ 241 before this.. that's a $900 monitor. This a $350 monitor.

It just is what it is. There's no reason to hate on it. If you have some constructive comments, then place them. But saying a company sucks because it doesn't meet your needs is sort of sophomoric.

I'm not a purist, really. I have a high def plasma in my living room and if I need to watch a movie or play my Xbox at the absolute best resolution, there is no way I'm plugging it into a 22 inch PC widescreen LCD.

If you need to play games non-stretched, just find a different monitor. Or deal with it being stretched... simple fix!

It is easy for us all to get caught up in specifications and in doing so, really scrutinize those aspects which are a little lacking. But, try to see the big picture. There are many positive traits about this monitor. See it for what it is and then make your decision.

If I nitpicked every little thing that might be wrong in my choice of a wife, I may never have married the most amazing woman I've ever met. In fact, I might never have gotten married at all. Nothing is perfect. Not monitors, nor women.

See the big picture and make your choice!

Purists? Try to play 4:3 PC games stretched in 16:10 and then tell me I'm a purist. Thing is the 1:1 pixel mapping/keep aspect ratio function doesn't even cost the company a single dime. Most of the the time it's lazyness -or ever worse- company tactics that create this problem. Knowing some things about programming I can tell you it's much easier than it sounds (especially if it was a rough "keep aspect ratio" function or a simple 4:3/16:9/stretched switch) which to me shows disrespect for the consumer.

Purists? Try to play 4:3 PC games stretched in 16:10 and then tell me I'm a purist. Thing is the 1:1 pixel mapping/keep aspect ratio function doesn't even cost the company a single dime. Most of the the time it's lazyness -or ever worse- company tactics that create this problem. Knowing some things about programming I can tell you it's much easier than it sounds (especially if it was a rough "keep aspect ratio" function or a simple 4:3/16:9/stretched switch) which to me shows disrespect for the consumer.

*shrug*

Don't buy the monitor then.

I mean, thanks for the great information, but methinks your rant has gone on long enough.

Next?

*shrug*

Don't buy the monitor then.

I mean, thanks for the great information, but methinks your rant has gone on long enough.

Next?

Actually that's why I'm "ranting" because I want to buy the monitor. If I didn't care about it I wouldn't make the thread. I don't understand your dedication in defending the honor of the company.

Actually that's why I'm "ranting" because I want to buy the monitor. If I didn't care about it I wouldn't make the thread. I don't understand your dedication in defending the honor of the company.

I see! That's what I thought. You really like all the other specs except for the lack of 1:1 mapping. I'm not defending anything, if you read closely. What I said was, this clearly isn't the monitor for you. It doesn't fit your needs. That doesn't make it a bad monitor, that makes it the wrong monitor for you. Not sure how that is "defending the honor of the company"... but hey, whatever you need to tell yourself!

kast,

i'm curious as to why you want to play games in 4:3. What games are you playing? All next gen consoles support 16:9, and stretching 16:9 to 16:10 is not taht big of a deal, 4:3 to 16:10 is different i agree. Maybe i missed your need earlier in the thread. Personally, I'm gonna get a 24 inch to go along with the 226bw. The 226bw doesnt look good AT ALL playin gin 720p, which is what it supports only cause of the resolution. This is one HECK of a computer monitor though.

ALSO -- for those hooking up a ps3 to this thing (i wouldn't recommend that), how are you handling the sound? I'm assuming hooking it up via HDMI -> DVI.

Can someone please tell me how to adjust Tilt on this monitor. Sorry for some reason I cant figure it out, or my brain is not functioning =/

Can someone please tell me how to adjust Tilt on this monitor. Sorry for some reason I cant figure it out, or my brain is not functioning =/

Push the top of the monitor. It'll tilt back. It only tilts forward just a bit though.

Thanks Diabolikul it looks pretty good at non-native resolutions which quells my fear. The 1:1 pixel mapping thing would be nice, but as some point out I can just do that with my video card. Doubt I'll have to do it much in the future anyways. I think I've read that ATI cards should do 1:1, though I think in reference they said choose the setting you did which didn't seem to work. I've definitely heard it more in context to Nvidia cards though, which might help sway my future purchase. Thanks again for the screens. Look forward to the lag ones. ;) You do deserve some game time though so no rush.

kast,

i'm curious as to why you want to play games in 4:3. What games are you playing? All next gen consoles support 16:9, and stretching 16:9 to 16:10 is not taht big of a deal, 4:3 to 16:10 is different i agree. Maybe i missed your need earlier in the thread. Personally, I'm gonna get a 24 inch to go along with the 226bw. The 226bw doesnt look good AT ALL playin gin 720p, which is what it supports only cause of the resolution. This is one HECK of a computer monitor though.

ALSO -- for those hooking up a ps3 to this thing (i wouldn't recommend that), how are you handling the sound? I'm assuming hooking it up via HDMI -> DVI.

The reason 720p doesn't look good at all is the reason I'm whining about in this thread. First the monitor upscales the image and then it distorts the aspect ratio which is disastrous for the image quality. Actually the 16:9 -> 16:10 stretching does most of the damage for console gaming (especially with the jaggies problem).

I see! That's what I thought. You really like all the other specs except for the lack of 1:1 mapping. I'm not defending anything, if you read closely. What I said was, this clearly isn't the monitor for you. It doesn't fit your needs. That doesn't make it a bad monitor, that makes it the wrong monitor for you. Not sure how that is "defending the honor of the company"... but hey, whatever you need to tell yourself!

I agree it doesn't make it a bad monitor it's a great monitor and I'll still buy it. But it does make Samsung a bad company because like I explained the lack of this feature is due to lazyness or company tactics which shows disrespect for the consumer.

I assume the HDMI -> DVI converter will have audio output which you can connect to your speakers.

hey diabolik, were you using a flash or something in those pictures? they seemed a little washed out, maybe you need to take them in a darker room.

hey diabolik, were you using a flash or something in those pictures? they seemed a little washed out, maybe you need to take them in a darker room.

First paragraph of the pic post:

As promised, here are some comparison images. If they appear washed out, it is because of window glare. These shots are taken in my recreation room which has a 3 pane sliding glass pocket door leading out to the pool on one side and a rather large window on the other. Nearly impossible to stop the light from coming in. However, I should say that the camera is collecting more glare and light then my eyes are. The images are not washed out or full of glare in person.

sorry must have missed that, still why not just wait until night time? i'm not saying i'm not grateful, anybody who takes the time to take pics (especially comparison ones of other monitors, such as the LG 226 everyone wants to stack this one up against) deserves credit, but i would love to see some pictures of this monitor in a darker environment and waiting until night time would solve the glare issue i bet.

and yeah, before you say it i could just go to a store that has them on display, although i'm betting your is well calibrated and actually on a DVI input rather than a VGA.

I can take some pics tonight if you like. It is on DVI and it is calibrated to my liking as well.

I can take some pics tonight if you like. It is on DVI and it is calibrated to my liking as well.

that would be great, as i'm seriously considering getting this for my new PC since the NEC was just too darn expensive (and had several add ons i didnt need on top of the great screen that was all i really required) and this seems to be the second in the running......although i'm wondering if this is better than the viewsonic 2025, as that seemed to also be the fan favorite alternative 2nd placer (Dell no longer counts for me as a contender, it's either NEC or a non-ips widescreen it seems).

I went to check this monitor out at Circuit City today. The 226BW wasn't hooked up but next to it was the 206BW and it looked pretty good. I really want to get one now.

So basically this set doesnt look good with the 360 at 1280x768 (720p).. but what about 1280x1024? I will be using this set for the 360 and PC as I dont have the luxury to spend more money on a better set or HDTV

I love this thing. Especially with a new swivel monitor arm. (just ignore the camera flash)

samsung1nq5.jpg

So does that thing automatically change the view when you rotate, or is the control manual?

What arm are you using?

I just got back from circuit city. Wonderful monitor. I payed $409.04 for it because of tax in Independence, Missouri.

It's great, I'll get pics later.

Wow this thread has been amazing source of help for me on my journey to buy an LCD! Thanks everyone for your comments and pictures - it is greatly appreciated.

So, nobody has yet managed to make some nice stopwatch pictures with 1/1000 resolution of this and a cloned CRT monitor? :( It'd be really nice to see, how many ms it is slower than a CRT with RTA on and with RTA off.

@maxauthority

I have a strong PC, Athlon 64 4000+ overclocked, 2GB cas2.0 Ram, 7900GTX 512mb and so on... so good for a test.
I have my 19" 930BF (5ms) in cloned mode whit a 17" CRT, tried windows, CS 1.6 and Q4:

- There is NO INPUT LAG
- also no ghosting at all, nothing and i am very very pedantic, you can only notice:

- if you move your vision (mouse) fast left to right and so on, it has not the same picture sharpness as a CRT, but i am not talking about ghosting here, i mean motion fuzziness/haziness, or how it is called right.
You can see this also very good in the testing program "PixPerAn", the test where the car moves, on the CRT you can read the text above the car, in LCD you cant.

So the 226BW shouldn't have any input lag. It's a way newer monitor/model than mine and mine don't even has input lag.

So, nobody has yet managed to make some nice stopwatch pictures with 1/1000 resolution of this and a cloned CRT monitor? :( It'd be really nice to see, how many ms it is slower than a CRT with RTA on and with RTA off.

Diabolikul is gonna get to this. Be patient, he's done a lot.

yeah that pictures page was great (still alot of them seemed very advertisy, i'd like to see more stuff like the bottom ones), and i may just be insane from reading far too much about monitors and their issues, but does it look like there's banding in this picture?:

http://product.pcpop.com/000037087/Picture/000304475.html

could just be the way the photo was taken as that doesnt show up in the other working display photos.

btw i know this is a TN with particularily high viewing angles, but what is the deal with the view from below look so much worse than looking from above?:

http://product.pcpop.com/000037087/Picture/000304530.html

http://product.pcpop.com/000037087/Picture/000304531.html

Yeah, tomorrow night I will take night shots and also set up the CRT for the lag test. Sorry to be selfish, but I really wanted to game today/tonight and use this sucker!

I have a Nikon D70. If someone would care to instruct me on what angles he/she wants pictures of, I will do so tomorrow.

has anyone noticed how unless you're sitting far away from the monitor, the colors don't look uniform? i think it has to do with the viewing angle of the monitor.

if anyone has any tips on how to do away with this, please let me know...otherwise 22" is great :D

HDCP only goes over DVI and it does have HDCP. It does not have 1:1 scaling but that doesn't matter because of the option in the Nvidia control panel for centered output.

Back