Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

I was going to buy the 22" from bestbuy and return it if it was a crappy A panel. Bestbuy had full money back within 14day refund policy. Now bestbuy seemed to have raised their price on the 226bw from 329 to 499dollars.

Circcuit city has a 15% restocking fee on opened monitors!,,

Where can I buy a samsung monitor and return it for my full money back if I decide to return it?

.... saving up some more and going with the 2407WFP.
That is precisely what I did, I first bought the 226BW and recieved an "A" panel, spent 3 days trying to like it, returned it, and waited for the Dell price drop + 10% discount; $899AUD compared to $560 for the samsung. Very nice monitor the only problem I will have to upgrade my 7900GT :rolleyes:

JOOPVTG
i try your setting just for the contrast and brighness in the COSTOM mode. hard for the eyes.

white letters on black!!!!!!! here........

for the colors etc in the COSTOM mode............. will it change the 7 others modes ?

tyvm:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I bought one from Fry's in SoCal today and I see that it is a C panel. How do these compare to the S and A panels? Is there even a significant difference between these three models and are people freaking out over nothing?

I have yet to plug it in and probably won't until I hear some sort of feedback on quality.

Can you make some pictures, we can discussed then.

Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to. The only other LCD I own is the four year old 23" Apple Cinema Display on my old G4. I'm kind of a CRT snob when it comes to gaming on my PC so this is the first LCD I've bought with the intention to game on it. Reviews sounded perfect, then I get home and see all this crap with different panel versions that are supposedly very different from each other.

Ugh, this sucks. :)

I bought a 226BW today and it's the S panel. I *really* want to like this monitor, but I am disappointed by the 'out to lunch' factory settings. I want to plug a monitor in and use it, not mess around with adjusting colours to get it to look like is should out of the box. I was playing Titan Quest and noticed the desert (yellow) looked pale and oversaturated. I changed the colour settings as suggested by some in here and it's better, but I'm still not completely satisfied. My co-worker has a monitor calibration tool so I will try to borrow it and see what I come up with.

Rob

Yep, Samsung Panel lottery sucks a lot.
mad.gif

Link: [H]ard|Forum page #73 KungFu-tse have also received a C panel, discussed here.

Link: Forums.Whirlpool.net.au: Discussed about the Samsung C panel.

Link: Samsung 226BW C panel Made by Chi Mei Optoelectronics panel, Monitor Application: 22" Model Name M220Z1-L03

Hope this help
smile.gif

Thank you very much for the links.

I have a friend looking into getting a monitor such as this one to use with a new generation console like the ps3. I only honestly don't know anything about doing this besides that he would need an hdmi to dvi adapter to plug into the monitor, but how would he be able to get sound? is there a way he can just hook a set of speakers up to the console through something?

The Samsung just didn't look the way I wanted it to. I returned it to BB and went to CC to buy the LG L226WT which I like better. Btw I payed cash for the Samsung at BB and now I have to wait 3-5 days to get my money back in check form. :mad:

I went to Circuit City yesterday I did see the 226bw on display and it was the S panel so I had the guy (from CC) check the other box in the back to see if it also had a S in the serial number he stated no but did not tell me what it had. My question is there even a way to tell without opening the box?

The Samsung just didn't look the way I wanted it to. I returned it to BB and went to CC to buy the LG L226WT which I like better. Btw I payed cash for the Samsung at BB and now I have to wait 3-5 days to get my money back in check form. :mad:
That sucks about the check deal!! :eek:

I've seen this photo on another forum that makes me think the 226bw has 1:1 pixel mapping after all...

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/2031/img0389ht1.jpg

It's running at the native laptop resolution which is 1280x800. Does it only do this because it's connected dual screen?

AFAIK all nVidia drivers and ATi _mobility_ drivers are able to force this (don't know about Intel drivers and the rest of the bunch). Also I noticed that even with a normal Radeon (desktop) some resolutions are displayed this way (windowboxed from all sides) on the 226BW while others are stretched to fill the whole screen. All in all, this picture proves nothing I'm afraid..

AFAIK all nVidia drivers and ATi _mobility_ drivers are able to force this (don't know about Intel drivers and the rest of the bunch). Also I noticed that even with a normal Radeon (desktop) some resolutions are displayed this way (windowboxed from all sides) on the 226BW while others are stretched to fill the whole screen. All in all, this picture proves nothing I'm afraid..
Then why would there be a demand for 1:1 pixel mapping on a monitor if most of the time this can just be accomplished softwarematically? Also, you suggest that it wouldn't work on a console for instance then?

Then why would there be a demand for 1:1 pixel mapping on a monitor if most of the time this can just be accomplished softwarematically? Also, you suggest that it wouldn't work on a console for instance then?

Only certain monitors allow 1:1 pixel mapping (often used as a selling point) and it can't be achieved just using software, can it? I'm guessing only if the monitor supports 1:1 pixel mapping then it can be utilised by consoles.

OK, that's probably a confusion on my part. What the nVidia Detonators and ATi Mobility Catalysts can do is that they can preserve aspect ratio of 4:3 resolutions by pillarboxing them by black bars on the sides to 16:10, so that they are scaled evenly by the monitor and 4:3 aspect ratio is preserved. This is probably not referred to as 1:1 pixel mapping and it is not the thing seen on the picture with the racing car. Nevetheless I'm quite sure that _some_ resolutions are displayed windowboxed on my 226BW, however I have yet to check this again when I get home. Whether it is the case of 1280x800 I do not know.

Also check this http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/reviews-Samsung-226BW-ftopict52231.html thread as there has been some discussion of this issue there.

No, Samsung policy is to hidden that for his customers, the only place is the sticker behind the cover, but check for confirmation inside the OSD ' Service Function ' the panel type.
We have seen at last one Samsung 226BW here that's give on the sticker a other panel letter then in the ' Service Function ' showed. :confused: :mad:

Exactly. If they didn't want to hide what panel it is they'd put the panel number on the freaking box. That way the customers would be able to buy the panel of their choice. But no, you have to buy the monitor first and then check if it's the god-awful A panel or the panel you actually want.

Buy.com just sent me their weekly flyer thing and they are advertising the 226BW for $290 with free shipping after a $20 rebate.

At that price it might be worth putting up with getting an A or C panel.

Samsung has also declared that the 22" segment is dead. Apparently they will be coming out with "low cost" 24" LCDs that are LED backlit in just the next couple of months (apparently they just went into full production on them).

That would sort of explain the price drop on 226BW and why Samsung shifted manufacture to 2nd tier vendors on the glass (busy re-tooling their fabs for the new glass).

Maybe I will sell my nice minty "S" panel for $200 when the new 24" comes out and give that a go.

Or maybe not!! :eek: :eek:

After some deliberations (and much attempted tweaking and manual calibration), I'm sending back my A panel for exchange. I'm hoping to get a better performing one. I don't care if it's S or A or C, it just has to look good. To make the next monitor evaluation more scientific, I'm going to have my friend open up the plastic back panel and cover the model number so that I won't be able to tell beforehand which panel I've got. Then I'm going to do some unbiased subjective testing.

I had to hook up my old 19" Hanns-G HU196D LCD again and I was reminded about what I did not get in the 226BW. The display on the Hanns-G could only be described as gorgeous compared to my A panel. Colors were deep and rich, DVD playback was beautiful with nice, deep blacks. On my A panel, when playing back a DVD movie you could see where the black bars cut off and where the panel was trying to show black. On my Hanns-G it was pure black, on my A panel it was dark grey. My Hanns-G had absolutely no backlight bleed. I expected some in my A panel because it's a problem with 22" TN panels, but not to the huge extent that I had it.

When Samsung dismisses the A versus S (and now C) panel controversy, they talk about all their panel manufacturers supplying panels that meet their spec's and pass their tests, I've learned that it means nothing. I don't know was type of panel is in my Hanns-G, but all the Samsung spec's meet or exceed those of the Hanns-G. This does not translate into a picture that is as good or better. It's not even close. Good luck to those ordering these monitors and I'm happy for those who are satisfied with theirs.

I went to Circuit City yesterday I did see the 226bw on display and it was the S panel so I had the guy (from CC) check the other box in the back to see if it also had a S in the serial number he stated no but did not tell me what it had. My question is there even a way to tell without opening the box?

buy it........... check at your home........ if it is not a S panel return it to the store the day after and tell the guy any reason but is not because it is not a S panel

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

With PowerStrip you can make easy 3 new full screen 16x10 resolutions, this are mine, quality is close to native 1680x1050 - added with 16x10 aspect ratio and full screen 1152x720 - 1280x800 - 1440x900,
design a resolution in a resolution etc. (not all videocards support all features, but is a nice tool)
:D

Link: PowerStrip

can it support msi nvidia 6600GT chipset beacause i can do only 1280 x960(closest) beside the 1600x900

tyvm:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

On my A panel, when playing back a DVD movie you could see where the black bars cut off and where the panel was trying to show black. On my Hanns-G it was pure black, on my A panel it was dark grey. My Hanns-G had absolutely no backlight bleed. I expected some in my A panel because it's a problem with 22" TN panels, but not to the huge extent that I had it.

:rolleyes:
Do some thinking and try to find out yourself why the ability to distinguish pure black (RGB 0,0,0) from very dark gray (RGB 5,5,5 for instance) is actually a good thing and why gray letterboxing on DVDs is actually the fault of anything but the display device. View the Contrast test at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ on your old and your new LCD and see for yourself how much of the grays your old LCD was actually hiding from you..

It is pitiful how often people blame their displays for showing deficiencies caused by other parts of the video-chain such as first and foremost the video source (crappy DVD).

Hey guys, I got my Samsung 226BW 22" few days ago (A panel :mad: ). The pictures and video look perfect but the text is slightly blurry. Some of the letters give the impression that has reddish or greenish borders. Also, the text in the taskbar is more blurry compared to text in the middle. In general, they are very readable, but distracting, as it is not of the same visual quality as the rest. This is the first widescreen I have ever had, and didn't want to assume that it was a fault straight away. After checking drivers and playing with settings however nothing helps the problem go away. Is this normal????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hey guys, I got my Samsung 226BW 22" few days ago (A panel :mad: ). The pictures and video look perfect but the text is slightly blurry. Some of the letters give the impression that has reddish or greenish borders. Also, the text in the taskbar is more blurry compared to text in the middle. In general, they are very readable, but distracting, as it is not of the same visual quality as the rest. This is the first widescreen I have ever had, and didn't want to assume that it was a fault straight away. After checking drivers and playing with settings however nothing helps the problem go away. Is this normal????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Are you hooked up through DVI or VGA connection and what model video card?

I'm using DVI connection and NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT. (Also running Windows Vista Business)

OK, you could try running the monitor from another computer and see if you get the same results. Have you turned off all of the special processing in the monitor (dynamic contrast, etc) as those will affect things. I would recommend using "custom" mode which has those things turned off.

A certain amount of variation in brightness/saturation due to viewing angle issues with TN type panels is to be expected, but this is usually expressed as slight brightness differences in the top and bottom of the screen, not the variety of problems you describe.

Back