Samsung - 2232GW vs 226BW (S panel)

CM90

n00b
I've heard terrible things about the Samsung 226BW's panel lottery, which is why the newer Samsung 2232GW appeals to me. Logically, the 2232GW should be better since it's newer, but overall the 226BW received better reviews.

What would you guys choose if you had a 226BW S panel (or adjusted A panel) and a 2232GW? How's the glossy screen on the 2232GW? Is the glare unbearable?

Based on a test at BeHardware.com, the 2232GW has a higher response time. However, according to a Chinese review site, the 2232GW has much more accurate colors and a similar response time.

Any advice?

I have had a 226BW (C) panel for a while now and I like it. The only thing I do not like is the viewing angles are annoying as hell when you are viewing a dark image. Im pretty sure most of this BS about panels is due to the factory calibration (or lack there of). If you are that worried about it, I wouldnt even bother with the 226BW. However coming from the perspective of someone who owns a "non-S" 226BW Id says its 96 percent hype.

However coming from the perspective of someone who owns a "non-S" 226BW Id says its 96 percent hype.
I completely agree. All the BS over the S vs A vs C panel stuff is way, way over blown. I owned both and A and an S and once you get the settings to where you like it, I doubt you'd ever notice the difference. But...

Having said all of the above, I sold my 226BW. I just can not stand looking at the viewing angles of a TN panel. It is horrible. Even if you sit directly in front of the monitor looking straight at it, the top is much darker than the bottom. I had the Sammy for over 6 months but I alway found myself trying to tweak and adjust and get it just right. You can't. What is good on top is horrible on the bottom. I like Samsung stuff I just will never buy another TN panel.

I spent a bit more money and bought the LG 24" L246WP. The difference is incredible. The viewing angles are perfect, the color is great, speed is great. Still has a 3 year warranty and an adjustable stand. It does cost a bit more. Currently it is $449 at BB. But I think if you can spare a few extra bucks, the move to a non-TN panel is the way to go.

Back