Samsung 204T first impressions

I just picked up the 204T from Bestbuy today. I am coming from a 19" Viewsonic CRT and I would have to say that the CRT is better. This monitor has 6 dead pixels, backlight issues coming from the 4 corners of the monitor, and motion blur is horrible on this playing BF2 and Americas Army. Anyways I probably will take it back tomorrow. They had the LG 1980Q that seemed good. I might try it. The only thing I don't like about the LG is 1280x1024 and a 6-bit panel meaning 16.2 million colors. :(

Wow, that is just... surprising. I thought samsung might be a lock on avoiding those types of things over the dell. I was considering buying it, but I guess getting an lcd is a crapshoot no matter what company. *pissed*

Arkanian said:
I just picked up the 204T from Bestbuy today. I am coming from a 19" Viewsonic CRT and I would have to say that the CRT is better. This monitor has 6 dead pixels, backlight issues coming from the 4 corners of the monitor, and motion blur is horrible on this playing BF2 and Americas Army. Anyways I probably will take it back tomorrow. They had the LG 1980Q that seemed good. I might try it. The only thing I don't like about the LG is 1280x1024 and a 6-bit panel meaning 16.2 million colors. :(

Strange, bestbuy doesnt sell the 204T here and its not listed on there website either. You sure you didnt get the 213T?

mathesar said:
Strange, bestbuy doesnt sell the 204T here and its not listed on there website either. You sure you didnt get the 213T?
yeah they just put it out today. It is the 204T. It isn't even on their website yet. They only had one in stock and this was it :( this means I can't get another one

BTW: using DVI and v-sync on and still motion blur

playing with it more. don't really notice the dead pixels unless I look. Also the blacks and colors are good. I will try it a few more days to make up my mind. Yeah this will be hard to get used to going from CRT.

ok I have played some more BF2 and adjusted the settings on the LCD and ATI tray tools. Motion blur is very acceptable now. I managed to get the motion blur problem cut in half and also backlighting has been cut in half. I think I will keep this LCD. It just needs ALOT of tweaking to get it perfect.

Well I am probably going to take this monitor back today and get the LQ1980Q from BB. The dead pixels and backlighting issues are really bugging me. When I pay $600 for a LCD I want it to work. Oh well. I wonder going from 1600x1200 to 1280x1024 would I see a difference in games?

update: I guess the Samsung was a lemon because I exchanged it for the LQ 1980Q and MAN this thing is AWESOME. No dead pixels and no backlight issues. I need to play some games with it now. The only thing that I liked about the Samsung was the blacks was a little darker but I can live with that.

what exactly is this "sparkling" issues with dvds and what causes it? Is it just compression artifacts having to do with playing low res dvds on a high res display?

well... my 204T came yesterday... didn't get much time to play w/it in Battlefield2 to see how it was... but so far I'm happy ... the display is so clear/smooth looking... I have yet to find a dead pixel (I'm sure there are a few but I haven't seen any yet) ... I'll be playing around with it tonight after work with Battlefield2 on the highest resolution settings so I'll post up my results.

Are there any decent Free benchmarking softwarez out there? both CPU Performance (I just started messing with overclocking my Prescott 640 series) and Graphics/3D performance?

horist said:
well... my 204T came yesterday... didn't get much time to play w/it in Battlefield2 to see how it was... but so far I'm happy ... the display is so clear/smooth looking... I have yet to find a dead pixel (I'm sure there are a few but I haven't seen any yet) ... I'll be playing around with it tonight after work with Battlefield2 on the highest resolution settings so I'll post up my results.

Are there any decent Free benchmarking softwarez out there? both CPU Performance (I just started messing with overclocking my Prescott 640 series) and Graphics/3D performance?
I am glad that you didn't get a lemon like the one that I had. You will see motion blur in games. I got a LG 1980Q and their isn't any ghosting or motion blur. The Samsung 204T did have better blacks and the pivot worked better but it has a little screen door effect. The only thing you will probably notice is the slight motion blur when play FPS games. I would have picked up another Samsung 204T if Bestbuy had one in stock but they didn't. I am satisfied with the LG though because games do play better on it. If only they would make a 20" 1600x1200 1000:1 8ms monitor.

I'm in the market for a new panel and the 204T caught my eye. If you buy locally (like yours that you got at Best Buy) can't you just ask them to take it out and let you try it at the store? I mean if you could have opened it there and set it up and examined it on a running system and *seen* the dead pixels and stuff, you could have simply refused to buy it, right?

I've been lucky. I've bought 4 laptops and one panel and never had a dead pixel in the bunch, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

That's what I did - went to Fry's, asked to look at one before I bought it. They were very accommodating.

I picked up a 204T today.

First impressions:

This is my first LCD monitor used for gaming, I was hoping things wouldnt be as bad as it sounded coming from CRT. Its worse. Ghosting is painfully obvious to me. I'm getting some mouse lag too (with an mx518). Even jumping up and down in Quake3, you can see the line between the floor and wall drag behind. It sucks.

One dead pixel, bottom-right corner. Its not obvious unless I get flashed in CS, then its the only thing not white. Havent noticed any backlight problems.

For $600, I could have gotten a hell of a CRT.

Ritorix said:
I picked up a 204T today.

First impressions:

This is my first LCD monitor used for gaming, I was hoping things wouldnt be as bad as it sounded coming from CRT. Its worse. Ghosting is painfully obvious to me. I'm getting some mouse lag too (with an mx518). Even jumping up and down in Quake3, you can see the line between the floor and wall drag behind. It sucks.

One dead pixel, bottom-right corner. Its not obvious unless I get flashed in CS, then its the only thing not white. Havent noticed any backlight problems.

For $600, I could have gotten a hell of a CRT.
Yep I found that out too. I went back to BB and returned it for teh LG 1980Q and it has no motion blur or ghosting at all. I like this LG and will never go back to CRT's ever again. The differences between the LG and Samsung are WORLDS apart. The only thing the Samsung has better is that it has better blacks. I love my LG. :D

It's been over a week now... and I am really happy with this LCD... this was my first LCD display so wasn't sure what to expect...

I did notice in some situations the blacks are too black, haven't really noticed any motion blur... though then again maybe it is there but doesn't bother me...

I've been playing Battlefield 2 , highest resolution, x6 anti-aliasing, high everything and it's great ... tried Doom 3 at highest settings as well and was great other than having to max the gamma correction.

I noticed 2 burnt out pixels, but that's not bad... Every laptop I've owned has had at least a few burnt out pixels (my AMS Tech was the worst though... TI was a close runner up)

Now I just need to work on some cooling issues w/the vid card heh (I'll prolly get a water block for it... CPU is water cooled, and dropped 15* celsius while overclocked to 3.9 from 3.2 and runs stable)

I picked this monitor up Friday night and played around with it for most of the weekend. I do about 60% gaming and 40% graphic design. This monitor is more than acceptable for the design aspect and has very good blacks. In flash I can determine the last for colors in the palate from Black to grey, charcoal is a grey and not black etc. This monitor handles gradients and banding quite nicely as well.

Gaming I do notice motion blur when turning fast but when you stop moving the monitor recovers rather quickly. I haven't experienced ghosting yet but yes again there is the motion blur. The fact that I can do all of my design work is a biggy here and will make the blur acceptable.

Lastly I have one dead/stuck pixel and it's red. Doesn't bother me, I even though it was a speck of dusk and tried wiping it off at first. There is some minor backlight leakage in 2 corners but you only will ever see it on an all black screen. Anyone know if this leakage can cause future problems?

These comparisons are all based off of having prior tried the Hyundai L90D+ and the Samsung 193P+ both 19". I far prefer the tighter dot pitch on the 20" at .255.

I still got 12 days to return it to Best Buy so I'll give you an update on my final verdict.

Back