Samsung 172x = 12ms Response?

Stanley Pain

2[H]4U
I've been looking around latley, in the mood to buy a new monitor (CRT/LCD).

I was checking out the webpage of a local computer store (www.pccanada.com), and noticed that they have the Samsung 172x available as a special order.

I remember there was a rather large thread about this monitor a while back, with a lot of people raving about it.

Here's a link to Samsung's page with the specs.

Pretty damn impressive specs, including 12MS response time. Dunno if this is a typo or actually true.

Seems like a very nice LCD. Has anyone had any first hand experience with this screen, or knows if it's any good.

I'm basically looking for something that displays sharp clear colours, as well as text, and is good for gaming too boot :)

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

-- Btw, I'm in Canada, or else I'd have probably jumped on that dell 2001fp bandwagon :p

edit: The 12ms could just be the rise time, with a 4ms fall time equaling 16ms total response time? Hrrrm...

Still, looks like a good LCD, wonder if it's Samsung's on Screen or if it's the AU Optronics one.

The specs are true - 6ms rise, 6ms fall. This spec applies to the second version of the panel which isn't actually out yet. The first panel (with the "16ms" response time) was found to be very poor - all the reviews done so far of the panel (even those stating a response time of 12ms) have been of the 16ms version (which is not available in retail, at least not in any significant amounts).

The proper 12ms 172x is expected end of this month.

Yeah I've been waiting on the 12ms to come out.

Man, I really want to get 2 LCDs, just too many decisions.

The Prophet View 920 looks pretty slick too, I'm just not crazy about the thick bezel on it.

Grrr...

I think i'm gonna wait another year and then take the plunge , for now my GDM-502P will have to do :)

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Originally posted by KrulL
reviews out of the actual 12ms display is now online:

I am seriously considering this versus the DELL 2001FP. Ok, you might say 'Desktop Realestate', but then again... 12ms... :D

-KrulL

no, these are not reviews of the second revision 12ms panels. They have received a 16ms panel for review and pulled the specs from the Samsung website which stated 12ms (they changed the specs to the updated revision long before the actual 12ms panels were available for review)...at the time these reviews came up the samsung tft spokesman said that there had not even been any 12ms panels produced.

But where's the 12ms panels then ??? :(

I don't think this is the way to look good in front on your customers if they're not actually reviewing the 12ms panels that are posted at their site...

I do hope that they review the actual ones sooner than later....

Back