Same video cards, same monitors, different max res?

Landmine

Limp Gawd
I have two 6970's in a crossfire, two Dell U2713HM monitors using 2 Dual-Link DVI Cables to connect it all together. My left monitor will allow me to run at 1440p while the right will only allow a max resolution of 1080p.

Any ideas? I've uninstalled the drivers, tried beta drivers, done a driver sweep, swapped cables. I cant get it to understand the monitor can do 1440p.

2013-07-23_174308.png

Last edited:
Some GFX cards doesn't have two dual link dvi ports and instead have 1 dual link and 1 single link. Perhaps thats why?

Can I still use crossfire and put a cable to each video card to make sure they are both DDVI?

Can I still use crossfire and put a cable to each video card to make sure they are both DDVI?

Normally its port spesific, meaning that you can try with a single screen on one of the ports you don't get higher then 1080P. I checked your post history to see which brand you have. If you have the Visiontech 6950 flashed to 6970 as one of the cards, you only have SL-DVI on one of the ports. The XFX I am not sure of.

If I remember correctly, you loose crossfire if you connect the screens to two cards. I'm not sure, so you can try it out. If the XFX have two DL-DVI ports, you can use that as primary card and connect both screens to that, or you can connect one of the screens with DP.

I can't think of very many AMD cards at all from the HD6/7000 that have more than one dual-link capable DVI, use a display port for one of them if you have the cable. DP has been the "future" for like 5 years now and we still don't see very many monitors with the port.

I can't think of very many AMD cards at all from the HD6/7000 that have more than one dual-link capable DVI, use a display port for one of them if you have the cable. DP has been the "future" for like 5 years now and we still don't see very many monitors with the port.

I agree, he should use the DP. Found specs for the XFX and it doesn't look like it supports two DL-DVI ports either. A straight mini-dp to DP cable is all he needs.

With DP, you can use a straight passive mini-dp to DVI cable as long as you don't use 3 screens (which require an active DP to DVI). Not related to OP's problem though.

DP is the future, since it carries sound and picture, have high bandwith and can be used with passive dongles for lots of configs. You have more connection options on DP then with a DVI port. :)

Last edited:
I have DP cables. Hooked them up, and it works. But after doing an RDP into the computer and then logging back in locally, the second monitor it back to being locked at 1080p!

A restart fixed that.

Thank you all. Guess this will do for now.

Back