Samba server under a router

hudsonhauck

Limp Gawd
Okay.

I work at this laboratory on campus, and I do their computer stuff. They asked me to set up a samba server so as to share files in a central place. So, I did. However, they then decided they really needed a wireless router, so they put it in, and put the server under the router because they are too cheap to pay for more physical connections. So, instead of connecting straight into the wall, the server plugs into a router which then plugs into the server's wall slot.

Here's my question: Is it possible for the other computers to still see the server? I could not figure it out for the life of me. If so, how?!? :D

If you need more details, feel free to yell at me. :p

Do they have the connection coming out of the wall on one of the switch ports of the wireless router or the WAN port? If it's on the WAN port your gonna need to figure out what ports SAMBA needs and forward them to the IP of your server via the routers configuration settings.

Yeah, its in the WAN port of the router. What would plugging the connection of of the wall into a switch port on the router do? Also, does anybody know what port SAMBA uses? I think I gathered from google that its 139, but I just want to verify. Thanks

(and sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy with midterms and the like =T)

Back