• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Saints Row 3 PC - Awesome!

mr_zen256

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
2,659
Far out, I've only played the first 1hr and I'm stunned! Volition have done a fantastic job making this brilliantly optimized for PC. And the game kicks ass!

It has real PC GFX options and controls great with KB/M. Graphics are great, gameplay is intense! Gunplay is excellent and the action is relentless. I've hit a few quicktime events but nothing that seriously devalues the game.

Well done Volition, I think you may have a winner!
 
Vista x64 / Q6600@3.0 / 4gb / 8800gt / 1080p / Setting: High - DX11

I haven't done much but try to get my ps2 controller working with x360ce (had to set HookMode=3). I was a bit worried since my gpu is pretty old, but so far it's running decently. I may have to lower it to medium.
 
Vista x64 / Q6600@3.0 / 4gb / 8800gt / 1080p / Setting: High - DX11

I haven't done much but try to get my ps2 controller working with x360ce (had to set HookMode=3). I was a bit worried since my gpu is pretty old, but so far it's running decently. I may have to lower it to medium.

8800 doesn't support DX11
 
I played it a bit tonight.

Coming from Saints Row 2 to this is like night and day. This game is VERY much a decent pc game, plenty of graphic options, key bindings, mouse-ok UI. It doesn't seem to suffer from any bad pc optimization like SR2 did either.

The game itself? It's a blast. The voice work is great, the story is just over-the-top intense. It doesn't take itself seriously and neither should you.

The gameplay is actually fun, going from GTA to this the combat is actually enjoyable and doesn't feel "cumbersome" to use. Mixing in shooting with melee, etc is easy and simple and feels very fluid.

I'm not too far in (just got into the first crib and things) so I haven't really even touched on the game really, but first impressions so far are great. If you even remotely enjoyed SR2 you'[ll like this one.

It just seems it had a muuuuuuuuch higher production budget on top of them actually CARING about the pc market.
 
I have to say, I'm damn impressed. Volition's PC games are usually buggy nightmares that run like crap on any machine. But this is actually running super well, has a good number of graphical options, and the only bugs I've seen so far are the occasional physics freak-outs you see in every game with a physics engine.

Co-op seems to have some very minor desync issues. One vehicle's damage model got desync'd between me and my friend. It looked like scrap metal to me, but for him it was in great shape. This was fine the next time it was repaired.

The intro missions that get you started are very intense and instantly hooked me. No driving your fucking cousin around on menial business here.

Now I'm just jonesing for more co-op action and waiting for a buddy to get online.
 
Last edited:
I have to say, I'm damn impressed. Volition's PC games are usually buggy nightmares that run like crap on any machine. But this is actually running super well, has a good number of graphical options, and the only bugs I've seen so far are the occasional physics freak-outs you see in every game with a physics engine.

Co-op seems to have some very minor desync issues. One vehicle's damage model got desync'd between me and my friend. It looked like scrap metal to me, but for him it was in great shape. This was fine the next time it was repaired.

The intro missions that get you are very intense and instantly hooked me. No driving your fucking cousin around on menial business here.

Now I'm just jonesing for more co-op action and waiting for a buddy to get online.

If by usually you mean only RFG and SR2 then yes they are usually buggy nightmares, but unlike those two games both this and RFA were ported in-house.
 
Excellent game so far. I've encountered some glitches like inconsistent audio and vehicles disappearing randomly while you're driving. Hitting ESC will reset the vehicle sometimes but it doesn't always work. Motorcycles seem to have gotten a very nice overhaul and are a blast to drive this time around. I pimped out my Kaneda asap and it's one sweet ride. The opening mission was amazing too.
 
I loved SR2 and I'm really looking forward to playing this one.
 
This game rocks!! Played last night for about 20 mins after it unlocked! Its more like Just Cause than SR2. Extreme FUN!!!!!

Need some screenshots. Runs great all maxed out on DX11 too!
 
How are the graphics this time around?
Anyone got some max settings shots? A few months ago I thought they looked nice but I watched some reviews yesterday and they look a little dated.
 
How are the graphics this time around?
Anyone got some max settings shots? A few months ago I thought they looked nice but I watched some reviews yesterday and they look a little dated.

Looks perfectly fine to me. With all the garbage we've gotten lately this is just a fun game, not taken too seriously...has nice options for graphics and even DX10/11.

I didn't take any screenshots last night, maybe someone will be able to post some though.

haha omg, cant wait to get into this... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xk...ird-open-world-gameplay_videogames#rel-page-1
 
Last edited:
So its worth it then?

Read a review last night saying it was a step backwards compared to saints row 2, in terms of the atmosphere, and variety.
 
Downloading and installing now. Really excited.

Too many damned good games coming out in a short amount of time here, folks.
 
Preordered it last night, but didnt preload because i was playing BF3. I'll probably start the download tonight.

nothing will ever come close to the hilarity of beating hookers with a dildo while wearing a banana suit.
 
http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/954853-saints-row-the-third/index.html

http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/954855-saints-row-the-third/index.html

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/954854-saints-row-the-third/index.html


Shaping up nicely on the review front for all platforms. Thrilled to see that apparently this isn't a buggy disaster out of the box on the PC like part 2 initially was.

What a great complement game to Skyrim this is going to be. Something completely different.


I don't know about you folks but by the time this month is over I'm going to have a serious "game overload" situation going on here. Heh, I guess that's a nice problem to have. ;)
 
Good to hear this game is a surprise. The last two were total MEHs.

Really doesn't mean anything, however, since Volition is dead to me until they do Freespace 3 :)
 
Gonna put this one on my short list for Steam Christmas Sale. If I buy it now, it's just gonna sit on the backburner until I'm through with Skyrim.
 
Good to hear this game is a surprise. The last two were total MEHs.

Really doesn't mean anything, however, since Volition is dead to me until they do Freespace 3 :)

No way man. Part 2 post patches and with mods was awesome.


http://idolninja.com/

If you're in the mood, you can get SR2 super cheap now and install that. You won't regret it. :)
 
Holy shit I was so surprised when I loaded this game up this morning. I bought the game from Amazon, preloaded and then installed at 12:07 this morning. I was bracing myself for choppy graphics, poor controls, and Jenga puzzle stability. I fired the game up, setup the controls and graphics wondering if I'm wasting my time and after a short wait, BAM! silky smooth, clean, glitch free graphics and gameplay! What the deuce!?!? This can't be! But it's real, they delivered a game that is not a buggy, shitty console port! It's a freaking blast to play, it loooks great, it plays great with a KB/M, and the voice acting is spot on. I can't wait to play this some more tonight. I think the sound could use a little more work but overall it's good stuff.

Yes, I have the dildo and I'm not afraid to use it! I'm playing as a thick ass black chick with tig 'ol bitties and corn rows. I'm not sure if I'll put too much time into customizing my character, I'd rather just play since I'm short on free time these days. I can't pull as many "'till 3am" gaming sessions like I used to. Guess I'm getting old.
 
I had a blast playing for a couple of hours last night after it unlocked. It ran great for me at just under max settings and I didn't have any weird glitches or issues..Awesome!

I was mainly cruising around listening to the radio stations and checking out the scenery. Oh and trying to start a couple of wars with the local gangs. I definitely enjoy the running attacks on helpless pedestrians too, and the ability to throw people into incoming traffic or off tall things or into rivers...

ok can I leave work and play some more now?
 
Yep - so far SR3 looks completely awesome! The PC interface is very well laid out, and M/KB controls work really well.

Rig-in-sig, the game runs like butter maxed at 720P. Going to try cranking it up to 1080P tonight, and I don't foresee it dipping below 60FPS too often.

My only complaint with the game so far is that I can't re-map the controls on my 360-game-pad. The KB/M controls on SR2 were so bad that I got used to playing with the controller in my left hand, and the mouse in right-hand for shooting when needed. If I can't re-map the game-pad controls I may just have to play the whole thing with just KB/M... not really a problem except it makes the driving a little clunky.

I didn't have much time to play last night - hoping to be able to find the game-pad re-mapping options on closer inspection tonight.

So it’s worth it then?

Read a review last night saying it was a step backwards compared to saints row 2, in terms of the atmosphere, and variety.

I haven't really scratched the surface of SR3 yet, but I'd say it's a massive step forward in atmosphere. The graphics look much more polished, and the game design across the board has a much more over-the-top comical personality that just blows SR2 out of the water.

Now as far as variety, I'm not too sure yet. The character customization has tons more options, so you can make your character physically look like whatever you want. The car and clothing options seem like they may have narrowed down just a little, but that may not be a bad thing. It seems like they left out some of the options that no one would have used, or that just looked like crap anyways. At least in the initiation station, outfits were lumped together so you were forced into wearing like a shirt/jacket/accessories that actually went together, instead of having to piece together your outfit one article at a time and possibly end up with something that just didn't work. The interface and options seem more streamlined so you won't waste so much time doing the boring stuff. I've only looking at customizing a couple cars so far, but it seems like they may have worked with the same principle on those too. Slightly less (like maybe 20%) overall options, but the look you end up with is still tons and tons better looking because of the amount of detail and polish they put into the game design.

Another couple of things I'm not sure about yet are the total number of cars available and the overall size of the city map. Hopefully the devs didn't skimp on those aspects to make the game look as nice and polished as it does. Guess we'll find out as we get deeper into the game.

So yeah, I'd say it's definitely worth it from what I've seen so far. I think this is the first game I've actually bought at full launch price this year. Just based on how much time I put into SR2, and how awesome all the previews looked. So far my expectations have been met completely - I can't wait to get home tonight and start playing again!
 
Last edited:
^^ Co-signed. VERY happy so far. I'm running all ultra settings at 1920X1200 without ne'er a problem. Controls feel good with KBM...I'm happy with everything so far.


A much different "first impressions" for me vs when part 2 came out.
 
Pierce singing along in the car is still friggin hilarious. He needs to bust out some Ne-Yo again.
 
I remember being interested in this when I saw the trailer months ago. But I think they really picked a bad time to release game: right on the tails of the bf3 and skyrim.
 
Also the new AssCreed game, Skyward Sword, and Arkham City in a few days.
Bad timing indeed.
 
How is the AI? Do the civilians react realistically? I remember one video and they acted dumb and stood there as they got killed.

Anybody touch the co-op yet? Is it smooth unlike SR2.
 
Also the new AssCreed game, Skyward Sword, and Arkham City in a few days.
Bad timing indeed.

I don't know why the gaming industry keeps doing this "x number of months of draught and then crunch all at once" type cycle. This month is really kind of ridiculous.
 
IMO they need to stop having the summer be the "draught" I mean, that's when you have kids off of school an dpeople have more free time. So why not release a big game there? Instea dof having all the huge releases fighting for Christmas.
 
How is the AI? Do the civilians react realistically? I remember one video and they acted dumb and stood there as they got killed.

Anybody touch the co-op yet? Is it smooth unlike SR2.

Are you expecting good AI from this game? Seems to go against everything they wanted. This isn't GTAIV were the devs are trying to make the world feel alive and the people feel real.
 
My current top 3 games are Skyrim, Saints Row 3 and Dungeon Defenders. I was hoping, but not expecting Saints Row 3 to be as good as it is. It's a fantastic surprise and has actually managed to pull me away from Skyrim for what would normally be my evening gaming session. With those three games I will be able to log hundreds of hours of solid gaming!

I sincerely hope SR3 gets the attention it deserves and doesnt get overlooked due to the other big names like Skyrim, BF3, Modern Warfare 3 etc.
 
Zen, I'm right there with you man.

Wow, this game really is fantastic. The gameplay is spot on with a KBM and the production values are clearly higher than part 2's were. The use of source music has been comedic genius.
 
Back
Top