Sager NP9262 vs Dell XPS1730

Tordek

[H]ard|Gawd
SAGER NP9262
- ~ 100GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA 150)
- ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
- ~ $100 OFF SPECIAL 4,096MB DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (For use with Vista 64-Bit Only)
- 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8800GTX DX10 (User Upgradeable)
- ~Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4GHz w/ 8MB L2 Cache - 1066MHz FSB
- 17" WUXGA "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1920x1200)

AT
$3,075.00 before shipping&handling.

DELL XPS1730
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2MB Cache/2.20GHz/800MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition - English
17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
160GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
NVIDIA®SLI™Dual GeForce®8700MGT with 512MB GDDR3 Memory
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 a/g Mini Card
High Definition Audio 2.0
AGEIA PhysX™ 100M Processor

AT $2,514.00 before shipping&handling.

Now I know they are not comparable notebooks. The Sager completely obliterating the Dell on gaming performance (and pretty much everything else due to the quad core).

But a point that worries me is the PhysX proc on the Dell.
Im not sure how sager would go about upgrading if PhysX takes off. And that worries me.
I know that I could always get an 8800m gtx from dell with the xps as an upgrade.(when it becomes available and necessary)

Im torn here, any suggestions?

well, i don't know. we just ordered two of the 9262's yesterday (see post in this forum as well). Unless Ageia decides /figures out how to put a physx card in an MXM slot/Mini-PCI or other industry standard slot...I dunno....buy the Dell, rip out the physx card, return it and buy the sager? :rolleyes:
of course
if phsyx takes off
is the key issue. it's been out for years now, and has shown me nothing to date that I am impressed with.

I'm not familiar with the Dell model, but the Sager can do RAID 0/1/5 with up to 3x 7200RPM hard drives, and it can do SLI. Does the Dell have the same capabilities? The sager also has A/B/G/N wireless, and Bluetooth, with the options for an internal TV tuner, and a media remote. 8800M GTX 512 stomps 8700m SLI, and also beats 7950GTX SLI as well.

Got it.

I was thinking the same.

The thing is that I just saw the PhysX demos from UT3 and they do look good.

everyone has been saying that. I played the original UT and had a blast, then played the second one, and I think either I had lost my edge for twitch games, or maybe it was somethign else...don't know. At any rate, I don't plan in taking part in UT3, so to choose a Dell with Physx over a laptop with multiple raid levels, 8800m GTX sli capable, and something with wireless N and Bluetooth doesn't make sense to me...but that's just my opinion.

PhysX won't take off, there's no need to worry about that. The Sager is a much better laptop. I would suggest getting a true laptop CPU instead of that Q6600 though if you intend to move the laptop around, since the desktop chip will run much hotter and use a lot more power than a laptop chip.

Back