Sage Software ACT! 2007 Can suck it

Asgorath

[H]ard|Gawd
4 hours later trying to install act 2007 premium for workgroups later on a client and the damn sql express 2005 instance won't load right. So I load it manually and configure it according to sage's knowledgebase article. Still won't connect to database. Reinstall ACT! Nothing. Uninstall sql and act. Reboot. Reinstall. Nothing. Uninstall. Go into registry, dig out all sql entries pointing to act7. reinstall. still won't connect.

I've set up ~10 people on act and only about 6 of the installs went easily. God I hate ACT so much. I want to hit the guy who wrote the installer for this software. Why do I need SQL express 2005 to run the client of this for a multi user app. Why can't the server just deal with that. Quickbooks 2007 enterprise got it right and put SQL on the server, and the clients just connect to it.

I want to have a fair where we get software developers and can throw baseballs and have them fall into dunktanks.

</rant>

Got it working. Same thing. Did it again. This time the act installer saw my sql server and could connect to it. bout freakin time.

GAWD I hate Sage software, act, and anyone affiliated with act.

Tell me about it, one of the laptops at my job has it installed, and we don't use it at work. I've uninstalled it signed in as administrator, deleted the registry keys, and the user still gets a dialog box giving an ACT! error when they open Outlook.

Not to hi-jack the thread but if anyone has any information on taking care of that then please PM it to me. :)

on the upside, if you pay the $200/year for service, they will sit on the phone with you till its fixed.

you might want to check out HuntressPro which is a Microsoft Outlook Add-in that replaces the need for ACT! You can read more about it at http://HuntressPro.com and you can learn more about using Microsoft Outlook for business development activities at http://Arrow-Tips.com.

Hope this is helpful!

Misty

Is that a network product?

I'd looked into both a product called Goldmine and ACT!, don't really like either one, and they are both so darn expensive it's ridiculous.

I wasn't able to find anything FREE to do this, either.

EDIT- Editing a Word file is much easier but when you get into having 20 people in it at once, just not the best thing.

HuntressPro has been available since late last summer - it is a plug-in for Microsoft Outlook that basically makes Outlook function more like a traditional contact management software (like ACT! and Goldmine).

Back