• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Safety & OC questions

eggrock

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 1, 2003
Messages
4,102
Are there any safety mechanisms in place to prevent fires if some catastrophic failure in a computer occurs? I know some mobos have a heat shutdown setting in BIOS, is there anything in the PSU that would shut down if there were a short (or a capacitor blows or whatever)?

Next, when people overclock for reasons other than benchmarking or speed records, do you generally leave everything overclocked for good once you find stable settings?
 
There are some fail safe measurements built in that really prevent you from setting fire to your computer. Usually if you overclock too far you will know it right away. The BIOS POST screen will error, at the Windows load screen it keeps rebooting, before the Windows load screen it says you have a corrupt driver, and last but not least no system stability in Windows (BSOD and reboots).

To answer your other question I have my computer overclocked all the time. I did when I had my P4 and I do now with my A64. So far no fires. :D
 
Major_A said:
The BIOS POST screen will error, at the Windows load screen it keeps rebooting, before the Windows load screen it says you have a corrupt driver, and last but not least no system stability in Windows (BSOD and reboots).

Sounds like when I ran ME.
 
The two questions not necessarily tied together. I don't like to leave my PC running when I'm not around, "just in case". But if I start folding I'll probably run at least one PC (if not 3-4) 24/7.

Good to know about OC'ing a rig and leaving it OC'd. I don't want to spend 2k on a rig only to replace parts in it every other month (barring legit RMAs of course).
 
Assuming that you're air cooling, your mobo will likely have a default shutdown if things start running too hot. If, however, you're OCing using water, then you'll want to jump into the watercooling section and get people to tell you how to build a switch so that when the power on your computer goes out, your pumps and such turn off. If they don't bad things can potentially happen.
 
Back
Top