Safest Remote option?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I was thinking of setting up remote desktop web connect but was curiuos of the security risks and what is the safest way to go about this? Thanks for any input. I need the ability to access my PC from work.

If your behind a firewall on both sides the easiest option would be hamachi +ultravnc.

So I should run both of these? Also which version of Ultravnc should I use?

If the machine you want to connect to has the Remote Desktop host...just use that with Hamachi. No need to use UltraVNC with hamachi...Remote Desktop works great.

Hamachi establishes the connection between the two machines and then you can use Remote Desktop over that connection to work on the remote machine.

you'll want to run the ultravnc server on your home computer, hamachi with your own password protected network on your home computer as well. Then install the viewer and hamachi on your work pc and use the ip hamachi assigned your home computer for vnc to connect to. I think the beta works better with vista systems, im still using 1.0.2. Lemme see if i can find a guide for ya.

Why use Hamachi at all?

Remote Desktop works just fine all by itself.

Why use Hamachi at all?

Remote Desktop works just fine all by itself.

Because then you do not have to configure firewalls or have an open RDP port open to the internet ;)

It is stupid to use UltraVNC though as well if you have a machine with remote desktop host on it...no need to add another program especially when remote desktop works better in most cases.

Back