'Safely Remove Hardware' in Windows 7

lathode

[H]ard|Gawd
I've never needed this feature, now Windows 7 thinks I would like to safely remove my primary hard drive or dvd burner... I'm looking for a way to tell Windows that they are not removeable drives, is this possible?

Are they SATA?

If so, and things are like they are in Vista, I don't think so as the OS is detecting them as swappable.... Of course, I could be wrong, but that's just my guess.....

I'm unsure if you can specifically designate a drive as "removable" or not.

I do know that on my board whether a drive is listed depends on which controller it is connected to.
The HDDs and optical are all on an Intel ICH10R controller- which is running RAID- and none of them (even the "non-RAID disks", which includes the DVD-RW) show up in the Safely Remove option.

The two external eSATA drives, connected to the Gigabyte controller, do show up as removable. This controller is set in BIOS as "native IDE".

If you have options for your SATA controllers- meaning more than one- you might try moving things around and see what happens.

I'm running a 780g board with SB700 AHCI. I guess the only thing I could do then is supply feedback to MS. They didn't show up as removeable with Vista.

Back