safely remove hardware icon sees my sata drives

slampy

Weaksauce
I just reinstalled windows, and for some odd reason I always have the"safely remove hardware" icon in my tray because it apparently sees my SATA HDD (the one that has windows installed on it) and my SATA DVD drive as removable drives. before I reinstalled, it never did this. I'd rather it not see them as removeable. its not really a big deal, but if I can't fix this, I'd much rather it not be there. and why would it think my HDD and DVD drive are removable, when neither of them are external usb devices? thanks.

What's your hardware setup? I had this happen on an AMD system. No harm to it, but it is kind of annoying.

Yeah, because they're removable devices. You can add or remove them to the system (except the boot volume of course) while the computer is running. :D

im gonna be mean, but it would SUCK soooo bad if you accidentally clicked to safely remove your Hard drive. lolz

im gonna be mean, but it would SUCK soooo bad if you accidentally clicked to safely remove your Hard drive. lolz

I did that once...what...I was curious...think the 2005 Doctor Who Christmas Special. Just gotta hit the big red button...

That's perfectly normal, but I believe I've seen a way to disable them from showing up before. Some googling might find the answer.

The only "solution" I have found is to simply hide the icon... I know of no way to actually remove it, and I really don't think there is one... .could be wrong, but I don't think there is....

Well, sometimes you can fool your system into thinking it's an IDE drive. Best to just hide it.

yeah, I'll just put up with it. I just thought it was very strange how only now during my reinstall does it see them as removable, but just a day before I reinstalled it never say any of my SATA drives as removable. I wonder why it would see it now, and not before.

Sounds like you may not have had your chipset drivers loaded on the previous install.

Yeah, that thing is very annoying. I install all of my chipset drivers except the storage drivers because it annoys me. If you want to get rid of it, uninstall your chipset drivers and reinstall all of them except the storage drivers.

Back