Safely remove hardware icon always displayed

Sidane

n00b
Weird little issue I'm having with XP Pro. The Safely Remove Hardware icon is always displayed in the system tray. But no external devices are attached. The devices listed are my two *internal* drives.

I've never seen this before on any other machine. I know it's not a problem, just an annoyance. In the hard drive Policies in Device Manager "Optimize for Performance" is selected in case someone was going to ask.

I've got 2 Sata drives - Western digital 74gig raptor and 300Gig Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10.

Full system specs in my sig.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Seems like that's a common issue with SATA on the AMD side of the house. One more reason why AMD needs to put a little pressure on it's chipset partners to make better chipsets.

Ah, I see, thanks.

I've got another Intel based XP machine with sata drives and it doesn't have this issue. So AMD looks like the problem.

I've got 4 Intel systems with SATA drives and it doesn't happen on any of them. Three friends of mine have AMD64 systems and it happens on all of them.

that doesn't happen with my DFI Infinity NForce2 board...

it does happen on my Gateway Solo 9550 laptop for the DVD drive...but I suppose that is plausible if you want to swap it out with something else.

::Edit::
someone was telling me that SATA drives are suppose to be hot-swappable. maybe this is some sort of implementation of this?

doesnt happen with me either, but i think i can recall it happening at one point... then it just went away I think... :p

The AMD64 nForce chipsets support hot swappable SATA. So I'm guessing that's why it shows up. And it does work, I just wouldn't try it with your OS drive. :)

So from "AMD problem" to cool feature, eh? Wish I had SATA drives now...

This happens on mine as well. When you go to that device manager or whatever. There should be another Radio Check button that says Do Not Optimize Drive. It does nothing to performance but will remove the Tray Icon. Go figure...

JBark said:
The AMD64 nForce chipsets support hot swappable SATA. So I'm guessing that's why it shows up. And it does work, I just wouldn't try it with your OS drive. :)

Aren't SATA drives hot-swappable on any motherboard or does the chipset have to support that feature? I have the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on my AMD64 platforms but i've also just unplugged and replugged in SATA drives while the system is running before without stopping them in that utility. Does it hurt them to do it that way? Are AMD64 platforms the only ones that actually support hot-plugging?

I had the same problem, went into Disc Drives and uninstalled the device from there, took care of the problem pronto.

Back