Safely Remove Device on schedule? windows server backup

jdetmold

Weaksauce
So i have a server 2008 R2 box at a remote office.
I dont get in their ever week so the office manager will be responsible for switching the usb backup drives every monday morning (backup runs at 10:00pm). the manager however does not have access to the server and i would rather not remote in just to eject the drive every monday.

my thought is if i can create a batch that will eject both drives every monday morning so long as he switches them before 10 windows will backup on the drive thats present.

big question is how do i do this? I have tried using devcon however cant seem to get the device to eject dosent matter what device instance id i use.

they are 2 western digital 1tb drives in velocity usb enclosures

if anyone has a similar setup or an idea they would like to share i could use them.

Thanks!

I don't see why you have to eject them. At all our client they just unplug one and plug the other in and you are good to go. I never have used the "eject" feature on removable drives. I just made sure nothing was writing to them at the time of unplugging them.

the eject option is only to make sure there is no data in any queue waiting to be written before the drive is disconnected. as long as you are sure there is no pending data, its fine to just unplug.

Back