Safely eject misbehaving.

FenFox

Limp Gawd
I seem to have encountered an issue where I can't safely eject USB Mass Storage Devices even after reboot.
Not sure what is causing this as a reboot has always solved this issue in the past. Any idea? Even if I only access a single file and close the file down after, I still receive this message. I really don't wanna have to power off my system and disconnect every time I want to remove storage.

Why a new thread on this? https://hardforum.com/threads/cant-safely-eject-black-screen-when-logging-off-ms-account.1983930/

Posting your system specs like OS you are using would probably give folks a place to at least start.

Does the OS you are using have an Event Log and, if so, have you looked at it?

1.) I checked the event log and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Just standard errors.

2.) Tried turning off indexing on a flash drive then rebooted to see if that solved the issue and I still couldn't safely eject.

3.) Tried uninstalling all entries under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in Device Manager and rebooting. Windows re-added them but still the issue persists.

Else where, someone has suggested resetting my BIOS, but I don't know why I would need to do that since I never made any changes to the BIOS and there is no indication that there is even anything wrong with the BIOS. There are a few Gigabyte drivers I could update, but this issue didn't exist with the current drivers I have installed so I don't know if I see the point of updating them as I'd prefer not to--I'm extremely reluctant to update my BIOS as I have had issues in the past when updating BIOS on other PC's. Other people are suggesting cleanboot and repair upgrade.

When you deleted the entries in the Device Manager's USB Controllers section did you do that while booted to safe mode? If not try it that way.

When you deleted the entries in the Device Manager's USB Controllers section did you do that while booted to safe mode? If not try it that way.

Nah, I didn't delete the entries via safe mode. Honestly, I don't think I've booted into "safe mode" in many many years. Is there a specific hotkey is it motherboard dependent?

After a number of troubleshooting steps I just decided to reset the BIOS and that *seems* to have addressed this issue. I really have no idea why because I've never touched the BIOS so perhaps something was changed inadvertently.
The only thing I can think of that I did before I started noticing this safely eject issue is that I went into Microsoft BitLocker, but NEVER enabled anything. That's literally the last thing I did before I noticed this issue--probably just a coincidence.

Edit: Nope, didn't fix the issue.

Last edited:
In the the search bar type msconfig, press enter, click on
System Configuration, click on the boot tab, click on Safe boot, click OK. I haven't used safe boot in quite awhile so I think at this point you then will click the start button, click the power button, click Restart.

Back