Safe??? X-fi and Nforce 4

zombix

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
1,164
Im really hoping the snap crackle pop issue got addressed here. I Tried out 3 x-fi extreme gamers on my pc which is running on an nforce 4 mobo a couple months back and non of them could get rid of the snap crackle pop issue and really really really high pitch scream sometimes out of no where that would scare the hell out of me.

Now im hoping that some new drivers or something has come out that will get these x-fi's to run on nforce 4 boards.

I have heard other horror stories about the x-fi's and nforce 4 boards but it has been awhile since i first shcecked into the glitches.

Well im stuck with my audigy 2 zs still which has worked flawlessly for 3 years already.

But i think its time for an upgrade.
 
hmm i must have recieved 3 bad apples then from newegg because those 3 would not work at all on my system.

And alot of other people with my mobo having similar problems.

I also heard that its a toss up for nforce 4 and x-fi's
 
It is. Check for specific BIOS updates that mention the X-Fi, and if you don't find any, don't attempt to try another X-Fi. There's been a bit of a back-and-forth between Creative and NVIDIA as to who is at fault for the SCP issues.

The Audigy 2 ZS is still a pretty great card, and I personally don't feel as if the X-Fi is really that tremendous an (or justifiable) upgrade, but your needs and tastes may differ.
 
The Audigy 2 ZS is still a pretty great card, and I personally don't feel as if the X-Fi is really that tremendous (or justifiable) upgrade, but your needs and tastes may differ.

You must not play games. It's not just tremendous, it's epic, monumental.
 
Had X-Fis in two of my A8N32 systems with no SCP issues up until I installed 4GB of memory and went 64 bit Vista. Was working just fine with 2GB (2 sticks). Had to pull 'em out as I couldn't come up with a solution. Saw some post mentioning disabling C&Q and using RMClock to change the "Good Phase Error" down to 8us. May try that at some point but I do enjoy C&Q when the system is idle and the So. CA temps start jumping up. :D
 
You must not play games. It's not just tremendous, it's epic, monumental.

Over an audigy 2 ZS the X-fi is far from "Monumental" its an upgrade for sure but not epic or anything like that lets not get carried away.
 
You know what? I just got my memory timings set up correctly thanks to the help on the asus forums. I had everything in my bios for memory set to AUTO.

I could not patch company of heroes at all and supreme commander. On the relic forums they told me it could be my ram that is causing me to not be able to patch these games.

So i got my timings in order and now i can patch the games.

Im wondering if this was the Kulprit for my x-fi not working right on my system and causing snap crackle pop, and the sometimes high pitch screams.

But who knows? I dont have any money to try out an extreme gamer. :(
 
you should be alright. The problem was fixed well over a year ago, and I've been running an X-fi for about a year w/o any problems (until I installed Vista, but that's another story...)
 
Back
Top