Safe VRM MOS Temps?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
MB: B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU AMD 3600 no OC

Running P95 in heat mode, my VRMs got to 72C.

Typically they don't throttle until they get to north of 100C, like around 110-120.
So I'm assuming running P95 heat test a VRM temp of 72C is pretty decent? That's with my case open, though. I'll have to retest it with it zipped up.

So I'm assuming running P95 heat test a VRM temp of 72C is pretty decent? That's with my case open, though. I'll have to retest it with it zipped up.

Yeah should cause no problems whatsoever. And if you use your PC for games mostly they won't be near those P95 temps for the vast majority of time.

Typically they don't throttle until they get to north of 100C, like around 110-120.

I've seen VRM's that end up around the 130F-143F range. Also, keep in mind that each manufacturer places the thermal sensors differently. Measuring them through HWInfo64 or something like that isn't always accurate.

Last edited:
I've seen VRM's that end up around the 130F-143F range. Also, keep in mind that each manufacturer places the thermal sensors differently. Measuring them through HWInfo64 or something like that isn't always accurate.

Were they real low quality? ~60C seems super low.

Were they real low quality? ~60C seems super low.

I've tested motherboards with VRM's all over the spectrum. Good quality, bad, you name it. The problem is that it's hard to tell how hot they really get. Onboard sensors are not always accurate. You rarely if ever know where the manufacturer places them. Beyond that, external temperatures are at the heat sink, not at the VRM itself. The hottest VRM's I've ever seen were on X299 motherboards which could get in the 143F range. I've seen some cheaper boards get close to that range, but again this is external temperatures. I don't know if I've ever seen any get close to 100C or anything like that.

The VRM on my MSI x570 gaming + was getting just over 90c as per HW monitor and yeah the heatsink on it was mighty toasty. I realize this board has a shit VRM and the 3900x I have it it is close to its limits. I added a fan near it blowing on the heatsink and this dropped its temps by around 7C so its fine as far as I am concerned. I personally am not worried about anything under 90c for 24/7 but ymmv and certainly i understand the points about measuring spots that Dan mentions so i have no idea how accurate the temps I am getting are I just know for a fact the heatsink on it was very hot.

The VRM on my MSI x570 gaming + was getting just over 90c as per HW monitor and yeah the heatsink on it was mighty toasty. I realize this board has a shit VRM and the 3900x I have it it is close to its limits. I added a fan near it blowing on the heatsink and this dropped its temps by around 7C so its fine as far as I am concerned. I personally am not worried about anything under 90c for 24/7 but ymmv and certainly i understand the points about measuring spots that Dan mentions so i have no idea how accurate the temps I am getting are I just know for a fact the heatsink on it was very hot.

Yeah I guess you have to trust the mobo manufacturer to some extent on their placement of the sensors. I've measured temps on VRMS with a Z77 and Z97 board (heatsink off) but never checked them vs. the manufacturer claims. I was also using a lower power CPU so I had 0 concerns about overheating.

I was using that range because the board I'm using now has high quality ones and they are rated for ~130C.

Some of the lower end MSI boards have atrocious VRM designs. The X570-A Pro is one example of that. I have thermal images of the VRM that make those heat sinks look like a Forged in Fire episode.

Some of the lower end MSI boards have atrocious VRM designs. The X570-A Pro is one example of that. I have thermal images of the VRM that make those heat sinks look like a Forged in Fire episode.

Totally agree. I am only running this board because i got it for free because someone had issues running their memory at rated speeds on it. If it dies I will not shed a tear as long as it doesn't take down other components with it :D

Back