Safe Vcore for P4 2.8?

Thunder888

Limp Gawd
My P4 2.8 is rated at Vcore max of 1.525V. To get a stable overclock of 3.5GHz, I have to push the Vcore up to around 1.8V. Is this normal, or am I looking for serious trouble in the long run:D

What do you guys run these babies at?

Temps aren't a problem - at full load it never exceeds 51C.

i personally would not recommend using that high of voltage. i dont like to go over 1.7v and i have an m0 which is supposed to handle voltage better. SNDS isnt as common anymore as it was with the original 400fsb northwoods so that isnt a main concern of mine.

That's higher than I would have expected, I made 3.5Ghz on mine with 1.6 volts, but I'm going to ease my way up to it again some time and up the volts as necessary to see whether it really needs a full 1.6.

I don't really want to go over 1.6 volts anyway, and I would advise against 1.8.

Some people claim that if you run it at a certain max speed for a current voltage for a while, you can up the fsb again because the proc "warms up to it" through the burn in of a sort. You wouldn't have unlimited upping through this method but might help you reach 250 easier if it actually works that way.

1.8 is way too high for air cooling. You may not have problems, but the chances of them are exponentially increased with that amount of voltage.

I run my 2.8c at 250 fsb with 1.625 vcore. It can go to 260 fsb with 1.675.

Yeah, I'm wondering what safe Vcores are for a 2.8C. I can get 250 at 1.6, but i really wanted to overclock my RAM some too and I know my ram can make it to 220 without having to change anything.

edit: deleted this irrelevant post

blarg... This is the second time in the past few days that's happened. I'll post something in another thread and it instead shows up in a thread I've posted in earlier, even though I only had the window for the other thread open.

I have mine at 1.75 V and everything is working good at 250 fsb.

Back