• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Safe to use ancient thermal paste?

NickN

Gawd
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
757
I found an old tube of Arctic Ceramique out in the garage. It must have been sitting there for years because it's been so long since I've done a build with Ceramique. What I want to know is, is it safe to use on a new build considering it's been sitting in the heat of the garage for years? I'm about to put together a new box and I'm finding myself in need of thermal paste. Should I spring for the extra $5 to buy a new tube or can I be a cheapskate and use the old tube? Thanks! :D
 
The paste and fluid may have separated.
Squeeze a bit out to see.
If it looks uniform throughout and not thick, it should be ok.

Personally I'd get MX-2 as thats what I use now and is also non conductive.
 
When I used an old tube of Ceramique, I pulled the plunger all the way out and pushed it back in a dozen times to try and remix the paste. It worked fine for me then.
 
This past weekend I've actually just used a tube of AS5 from a couple years ago. It had one little bubble(gap?) when it was coming out but nothing that wasn't fixable by simply going over again.

Supposedly it's best to store thermal paste tip-down
 
Ancient thermal paste lol

newly excavated by noted computer historian in silicon valley.


make sure it is not separated, and go ahead. check your temps to verify.
 
Once the paste is applied, it has to last several years and is subjected to multiple heat cycles and temperature extremes. So, my guess is that it is pretty tough stuff, and will stay relatively stable when sitting in storage.
 
Back
Top