Safe to pick up DDR4 RAM now for future Zen 3 build?

staknhalo

Supreme [H]ardness
I got a targeted offer from Newegg for 10% off RAM, plan on doing a Zen 3 build. Was gonna get Gskill 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600 memory. Any reason not to pull the trigger on it now?

Edit: I pulled the trigger, $196.65 cost to me for the 3600 64GB kit in the end.

Last edited:
RAM compatibility just gets better and better with each iteration of Ryzen CPU's .. You'll be good to go and congratz!

I got a targeted offer from Newegg for 10% off RAM, plan on doing a Zen 3 build. Was gonna get Gskill 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600 memory. Any reason not to pull the trigger on it now?

Edit: I pulled the trigger, $196.65 cost to me for the 3600 64GB kit in the end.
It's not uncommon for CPU's to have dual memory controllers, so even if Zen 3 supports a next generation memory, It'll support DDR4 to remain compatible with AM4. Keep in mind K10.5 supported both DDR2 and DDR3, and Skylake and later supports DDR3 and DDR4.

It's not uncommon for CPU's to have dual memory controllers, so even if Zen 3 supports a next generation memory, It'll support DDR4 to remain compatible with AM4. Keep in mind K10.5 supported both DDR2 and DDR3, and Skylake and later supports DDR3 and DDR4.

Yeah, I just know Zen, Zen+ (and maybe 2 ?) had some finicky memory issues, but didn't really keep track/pay close attention to it for the simple fact it wasn't time for my build yet - so was more curious if there was something big I was missing before I pulled the trigger. Over on reddit though (I asked there too) they informed me good to go - so I bought it.

Back