Safe to Overclock??

icehokplyr

Limp Gawd
Is it safe to overclock my Prescott Pentium 4/3.0E? Its temperature runs at about 49 - 50C.
Any recommendations?

Thanks for any help.

I've got mine OC'd but the temps are holding me back, 50c/68c. I have a Koolance EXOS wc kit I'm going to put on it this weekend. That should allow me to hit right around 3.9-4.0g.

So, you can OC it but just be ready for the temps.

yes its safe if you go with a diffrent cooling sollution, otherwise with stock cooling at that temperature i wouldnt bother to OC it, even then its 3.0ghz it will already run anything on the market fine, if you really wanted to i guess with your current cooling u should be able to get atleast a 200-500mhz overclock, just to play it safe until u get better cooling then go all out and oc the hell out of it

XeRo_Dark said:
yes its safe if you go with a diffrent cooling sollution, otherwise with stock cooling at that temperature i wouldnt bother to OC it, even then its 3.0ghz it will already run anything on the market fine, if you really wanted to i guess with your current cooling u should be able to get atleast a 200-500mhz overclock, just to play it safe until u get better cooling then go all out and oc the hell out of it

Thanks Bro....

Check out my sig. With the Koolance I'm at 44c/58c. My only problem now is that my northbridge gets hotter than my cpu and I think it's holding me back some. I can actually get it to boot into Windows at 3.9g but it's very unstable.

Get some decent cooling and that cpu will fly.

Good luck!!!

I may try an AMD. My problem is that my Prescott runs hotter than normal. They all do. I'm seriously thinking about an AMD. Any suggestions out there?

Sideroxylon said:
Check out my sig. With the Koolance I'm at 44c/58c. My only problem now is that my northbridge gets hotter than my cpu and I think it's holding me back some. I can actually get it to boot into Windows at 3.9g but it's very unstable.

Get some decent cooling and that cpu will fly.

Good luck!!!

Is that safe that your northbridge runs hot? I hope you don't have too much on it. Is it overloaded or is that normal? I would put my soundcard in another slot. It may take some heat off the northbridge.

I may try an AMD. My problem is that my Prescott runs hotter than normal. They all do. I'm seriously thinking about an AMD. Any suggestions out there?

Are you trying to say that All prescotts run hotter then AMDs? A little confusing with the wording, but I'll assume that is what you said. I have an FX-51 and 3.2Ghz Prescott. The FX with stock cooling ran at ~40C-53C. The Prescott with stock cooling for me is running at ~36C-48C. Now they are different cases, but the temps seem to be pretty close to the same with stock fan, volts ,etc. Also, are you saying that you are going to sell your prescott setup for an AMD setup? I would seriously reconsider, in games you will see a performance gain, but selling a used prescott, motherboard, etc will lose you some money. In apps, you will lose performance. I say get some better cooling or be satisfied at lower clock speeds. Good cooling can be reused on multiple systems..

Sc0rched said:
Are you trying to say that All prescotts run hotter then AMDs? A little confusing with the wording, but I'll assume that is what you said. I have an FX-51 and 3.2Ghz Prescott. The FX with stock cooling ran at ~40C-53C. The Prescott with stock cooling for me is running at ~36C-48C. Now they are different cases, but the temps seem to be pretty close to the same with stock fan, volts ,etc. Also, are you saying that you are going to sell your prescott setup for an AMD setup? I would seriously reconsider, in games you will see a performance gain, but selling a used prescott, motherboard, etc will lose you some money. In apps, you will lose performance. I say get some better cooling or be satisfied at lower clock speeds. Good cooling can be reused on multiple systems..

Well, just from the advice given on here I was trying to find out which is better. AMD or Pentium? I appreciate your input. I have heard that prescotts run hotter and mine ranges from 49-54C. I wasn't making a statement I was asking. My case is a Liam Li mid tower with 4 fans. Why is mine hotter than yours? How else can I cool my machine? I also heard that there arte not that many good water cooling systems out unless you build your own. Just hearsay but for me and my knowledge, I don't know much about it to make a decision.
I would also like to learn more about overclocking.

Back