• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Safe temps FX 5700

Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
572
Im curious what the threshhold is for safe temps for this or most nvidia based cards, searching doesnt give me many answers. I was looking through display properties to see Im running about 32-38 degrees and since I put a pretty massive heatsink on teh card I disconnected the fan for a little while to see where the temps would lead. My readings now (5 minutes after removal of fan) are staying stable between 56-58 degrees. I dont play much games so I was thinking of leaving it this way for two reasons. Obviously for one less fan to be running but another is so I can actually use the nice cover of my shuttle. The heatsink I used is pretty large and with the fan on it, it sticks out of the side of the case. So I have this thing sitting here without a cover and have had it this way for a long long time. What I may do is remove the card completely and fall back on teh onboard video, since like I said I do not play much games. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS I know I can get an aftermarket, thinner cooler, but this card has just about reached the end of its usefulness, no point in waisting money on a cooler for a card that will be thrown out shortly.
 
Make sure you plug the fan back in if you are going to game. As far as temps go, for load you dont want it to go above 80C. Although it may be safe at much higher than 80, you would probably want to make sure that it's not above that because lower temps will prolong the life of your card and it wont be spreading much heat to other components.
 
so your saying if Im not gaming and I run it passively at ~60 degrees I should be fine? I plugged the fan back in and its back to its native 32 degree range.
 
As long as the temps stay low (below 80) it's cool (no pun intended) to run it with any cooling you deem fit.
 
wow thats pretty high, 80c is about 175 Fahrenheit give or take. at ~60 idle fanless that would probably go up at least 80-90 underload if not more. I'll give it a shot but if I fry my card Im gonna blame you :p
 
Back
Top