Safe Temps for overclocked notebook

Oscar Meyer

Limp Gawd
I've got an Acer 3820tg with an i5 480m and ATI 6550. I've overclocked the CPU to 3.0ghz. Default is 2.66 i think. And I've overclocked the GPU to 840 core 1000mem. Been running games nonstop for a month now and no lockups or artifacts or anything. Only thing I've noticed is the max high temp for the GPU seems to be rising a little every week. First week it was max 83 degrees under load. few weeks later, 85 degrees. Now its 88 degrees when running heavy load games like Battlefield 3. This probably has something to do with the factory heatsink paste. I really dont want to take this notebook apart to replace the paste if I don't have to. (it's a pain in the ass)
For you H'ers with discrete graphics in your notebooks, what's the highest you've had your GPU temps and still run with no problems?

Last edited:
I would be cautious. In my experience the cooling in notebooks is barely adequate for stock clocks. People want slimmer, lighter, and quieter notebooks, so cooling often gets neglected. I don't know the general ranges for notebook cpu and gpu temperatures, but if that was a desktop and you were hitting 88C just playing games we would be shouting at you to back off.

Have you done any stress tests like intel burn test for the cpu and furmark for the gpu?

I would be cautious. In my experience the cooling in notebooks is barely adequate for stock clocks. People want slimmer, lighter, and quieter notebooks, so cooling often gets neglected. I don't know the general ranges for notebook cpu and gpu temperatures, but if that was a desktop and you were hitting 88C just playing games we would be shouting at you to back off.

Have you done any stress tests like intel burn test for the cpu and furmark for the gpu?

I stopped using stress tests some time ago, cause sometimes you can accidently break stuff. Nowadays I just overclock, and use it in variety of scenarios. No lockups, blue screens, stuttering, artifacts, etc and I will consider that stable. The cooling on this notebook seems pretty good (separate heatsink/fan for CPU and GPU). And it's one of the main reasons I bought it in the first place (highly overclockable). Normally, I wouldn't be this paranoid, but this particular laptop is almost impossible to acquire now, and I would be royally pissed if it broke.

Those temperatures are extremely worrying, especially if your laptop is rare and precious to you. Stock thermal paste on most notebooks is, without exaggeration, some of the crappiest on the planet. This applies to both the quality of its application and the paste itself. Do yourself a favor, if you care about your laptop, and take the following steps:

1. Open up your laptop and clean out the dust.

2. Repaste the cpu and gpu with prolimatech pk-1

3. Back off your overclock

4. Consider buying a notebook cooler (metal, with fans in the appropriate place for your specific laptop).

Those temperatures are extremely worrying, especially if your laptop is rare and precious to you. Stock thermal paste on most notebooks is, without exaggeration, some of the crappiest on the planet. This applies to both the quality of its application and the paste itself. Do yourself a favor, if you care about your laptop, and take the following steps:

1. Open up your laptop and clean out the dust.

2. Repaste the cpu and gpu with prolimatech pk-1

3. Back off your overclock

4. Consider buying a notebook cooler (metal, with fans in the appropriate place for your specific laptop).

Yeah, I think I'm probably going to go the repasting route. Anyone with laptop discrete GPU temps, please share. I've read alot of reviews on the Alienware mxx line of gaming laptops, and most of the reviews have temps of high 80's as well for GPU under load.

What some insane richboy who buys a new m18x every year gets with his temperatures, after mistreating the laptop in nearly every possibly way, has nothing to do with the temperatures you should be getting. Nobody who intends to use their laptop for 2-4 years would ever, ever be comfortable with 80C full-load GPU temps (let alone upper 80s).

Getting confirmation from some fool on the internet that "his gpu runs just as hot" doesn't mean you aren't killing yours as we speak.

What some insane richboy who buys a new m18x every year gets with his temperatures, after mistreating the laptop in nearly every possibly way, has nothing to do with the temperatures you should be getting. Nobody who intends to use their laptop for 2-4 years would ever, ever be comfortable with 80C full-load GPU temps (let alone upper 80s).

Getting confirmation from some fool on the internet that "his gpu runs just as hot" doesn't mean you aren't killing yours as we speak.

Dude, Chill out. Man, this site used to be [H], now got a bunch of whiners when temp goes over 80C. Do you ever read any of the desktop GPU reviews on this site? Seems 80C is average load temp. All I'm asking is for "first hand" notebook users with discrete graphics to chime in. I'm not asking for a bunch of amateur opinions on second hand knowledge obtained on the internet. Dude trust me, I've been OC'ing it before they invented the mp3 format. Blew up quite a few CPU's, GPU's and ram to have a feel for the limits of these things. Only thing I lack experience in is notebook discrete graphics, so I'm asking for people who actually own a gaming notebook to give their opinion.

What some insane richboy gets with his temperatures is totally relevant. Why? Cause he has ample money to be a test rat. Thats why we read reviews on 580sli and 6990's. Man, grow some balls. Besides, aren't notebooks, by design, intended to be run hotter than desktops? You see my sig? That 5850 was bought the month 5850's came on the market. It has ran to this day at that overclocked speed. I don't think I have ever played a game at load where the temp didn't go over 80C. Now please, unless you actually own a gaming notebook, please refrain from anymore "if's"

Temperatures in the 80s are perfectly fine for GPUs in general, and certainly for laptop GPUs. Unless you start getting into the high 90s, I wouldn't be worried. Moreover, the Acer TimelineX series of laptops is known for running on the hot side, so it isn't surprising that you might see temperatures a little outside your comfort zone.

Dude, Chill out. Man, this site used to be [H], now got a bunch of whiners when temp goes over 80C.

Don't make me laugh. Calling me out when you're so lazy that you won't even open your fucking laptop to repaste the chips. You're a real big shot overclocker. This site is [H]. You're just asking "how lazy can I be". If that's all you care about, make the site a better place and GTFO.

It's also hilarious that you had to double post. Congratulations on leaving zero doubt in anyone's mind here about your relevence or intellect.

Don't make me laugh. Calling me out when you're so lazy that you won't even open your fucking laptop to repaste the chips. You're a real big shot overclocker. This site is [H]. You're just asking "how lazy can I be". If that's all you care about, make the site a better place and GTFO.

It's also hilarious that you had to double post. Congratulations on leaving zero doubt in anyone's mind here about your relevence or intellect.

Haha this.

go get a beer and chill the hell out. all he said was that he didn't want to change the thermal paste because its a pain in the ass, he never said he wouldn't do it at all. quit making an ass out of yourself based on an assumption instead of fact.

Sorry, but I guess I'm just too old to know what GTFO means. Must be some Justin Bieber thing. It's not about laziness, it's about is it even worth it to take apart the notebook. Why don't you go dig up the service manual for my laptop and tell me if its even worth it for maybe 5 degrees C. It's risk vs reward, not to mention it's easy to break it taking it apart. If my current temperatures really are something to fret about, then I'll fix it. If it's normal, then it's no big deal.
If anything you're a big ass hypocrite. In your above post, you say folks with mx18's are rich and "insane", not knowing any better. Yet digging through a few of your posts reveals you're in the market for a second hand m17x. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1647342 LOL Good luck trying to get that to run under 80C. And now you got all the freshmen out backing you up. Gay.

Just for reference:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/29/sapphire_toxic_hd6950_video_card_review/12
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/02/14/asus_engtx570_video_card_review/9
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/01/18/asus_eah6870_directcu_video_card_review/9

I guess by your superior experience all these cards are defective in design before they even went into production, seeing how they all operate at over 80C at load. I mean, you're still sporting a 3-generation old GPU, so that makes you expert.

Anyway, again if anyone actually owns a gaming notebook (rather than want-to-be's) and has first hand knowledge to add, then I welcome your advice. Otherwise, please refrain from being GAY. That's not an anachronism BTW.

LoL, this thread is baller. Too old to know what GTFO means, yet calls people "Gay" as an insult. I'm intrigued. Who is this man of all men? :rolleyes:

LoL, this thread is baller. Too old to know what GTFO means, yet calls people "Gay" as an insult. I'm intrigued. Who is this man of all men? :rolleyes:

Yeah, this thread is now comedy central. There was a time when "gay" didn't entail all the political correctness it now has. Used to just mean lame. Probably have to go to forum.notebookreview.com to find some meaningful help. Think wabbit's been playing too much RAGE.

Last edited:
go get a beer and chill the hell out. all he said was that he didn't want to change the thermal paste because its a pain in the ass, he never said he wouldn't do it at all. quit making an ass out of yourself based on an assumption instead of fact.

This is what happens when you don't read the entire thread. Why don't you read some posts and reconsider.

I took note, Oscar, that you said your notebook was "almost impossible to acquire now, and I would be royally pissed if it broke". My point about frequent high-end notebook buyers and notebook overclockers is that they are not concerned with the long term. I'm buying an m17x R2 to use for a long time, and I'm going to modify the cooling system (as any self-respecting engineer would) for maximum longevity and stability. 80C is unacceptable for long-term use, that is simply a fact.

But hey:

Man, this site used to be [H], now got a bunch of whiners when temp goes over 80C. Do you ever read any of the desktop GPU reviews on this site? Seems 80C is average load temp. All I'm asking is for "first hand" notebook users with discrete graphics to chime in. I'm not asking for a bunch of amateur opinions on second hand knowledge obtained on the interne.

Deal with your own problems in your own foolish way. Reap what you sow, little man.

...and I'm going to modify the cooling system (as any self-respecting engineer would) for maximum longevity and stability. 80C is unacceptable for long-term use, that is simply a fact.

Deal with your own problems in your own foolish way. Reap what you sow, little man.

Since you're such a stellar engineer, why don't you go engineer up a sense of humor. Most of your posts are dryer than a Golem's gonad. But I guess that's you...Mr. Serious. You remind me of this kid I once knew way back in elementary school. After recess, we'd all line up to get a drink from the water fountain. Well, this mini-Mr.Serious would always go tell the teacher when he spotted me putting my mouth on the water fountain. He said touching your mouth on the water fountain was "unacceptable for long-term use" and that doing so would promote transmission of cooties. "That is simply a fact," he would say. The next day, I pulled his pants down at the tether-ball pole with "maximum longevity". Don't think he was ever the same after that.

So that's my point to you. This thread is pretty much derailed from its original purpose. And since you are the thread crapper, I have no choice but to de-pants you in front of all these [H]'ers, while we all get a good chuckle. Digging up your old posts and making fun of you is much more entertaining than repasting a TimelineX. This thread is now "make fun of wabbit" thread until he creates a new alias.

Last edited:
Back