Safe removal process of stock s939 HSF?

The last two times I removed the hsf off my cpu (well, off of the motherboard I should say, since the cpu came with it both times) the CPU has been coming with it. Did I apply too much Arctic Silver5 or do they always stick to the CPU that much? I know twisting the HSF can break the adhesive bond but with the CPU cradle thing I don't have room to do so.

No pins are damaged when the cpu comes out so I'm assuming that it's ok, but I just wanted confirmation with more knowledgeable people.

Yeah, with AS5, the CPU's tend to stick to the heatsinks/waterblocks a lot. Everytime I've used it with a CPU with a heatspreader, the CPU has come out with the HSF/block.

As long as your pins don't get bent, you should be fine.

I've found that if you heat up the processor a little before you turn it off to take out the processor (Say with prim95 or something), then wiggle it a little once the computer is off (Don't pull upwards), you can usually pull jut the heatsink/waterblock off after that. Just remember that when you do pull up, pull stright up, so it won't bend pins if the processors does come up with the heatsink.

Astaroth

Wow, this seems odd to me. But, I'm an Intel weenie about to jump into the AMD world. Is there no retension mechanism on Socket 939s? I've never seen this happen with any of my Intel setups.

H

Hurin said:
Wow, this seems odd to me. But, I'm an Intel weenie about to jump into the AMD world. Is there no retension mechanism on Socket 939s? I've never seen this happen with any of my Intel setups.

H

Heh, most of the ones I've seen come out with the HSF have been P4's. :eek:

You can do this even when the machine is cold. Since I've had to install/deinstall a lot of processors into a lot of different motherboards, I found the best way to release is by twisting. This is of course done after all retention mechanisms have been removed. I pulled the processor out with the HSF once and that scared the shit out of me. Just imagining a pin breaking off inside the ZIF socket was too much, of course the likely hood of that happening is virtually nill, but I knew I had to find another way.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

939's do have retention clips. but i've never heard of this problem before. i'd say a little heat, little twist, and pull straight up.

Dark Ember said:
Heh, most of the ones I've seen come out with the HSF have been P4's. :eek:

Yeah, I was once working on a Dell for my neighbor that has a 2.66GHz P4. I pulled off the heatsink, and the proc came with it. It was practically cemented! I had to stick a flat-head screwdriver in and pry it off (it took a fair bit of force, too).

Stupid crappy Dell TIM...

Heat up the heatsink with a hairdryer (get it nice and hot), undo the clips and using a twisting motion, slowly twist the HSF unit off. I've done this many, many times and never had a single problem. :)

freeloader1969 said:
Heat up the heatsink with a hairdryer (get it nice and hot), undo the clips and using a twisting motion, slowly twist the HSF unit off. I've done this many, many times and never had a single problem. :)

Ah, thats a great idea. I'll have to try that. :)

Wonder how well that would work for waterblocks. Not sure it could raise the external temperature that much...

Figures and last night i broke a pin off doing this :(. Too bad i didnt know that they stick so well before that.

Back