"safe" opteron 165 temps

boscogne

Limp Gawd
got mine at 2.8 ghz on stock volts, dual priming gets me 53c according to Asus probe. Asus probe has been notorious for its high readings but Speedfan says the same thing. I read that anything above 50c would slowly kill the cpu..any truth to this? whats the max load temp you guys think is safe?

im using a scythe ninja with as5, but my ambient temp is rather warm, like high 70s at least

It may slowly kill your CPU, to the tune of it will only last 10 years instead of the 20 it should. You should be able to run a CPU to 70c and it will still last you longer than you'll likely keep it.

Of all the computer components I see fail, the CPU tends to be the least likely, and if it does it's usually a manufacture defect that shows up pretty quickly - I've really never seen or heard of a CPU dying from age or heat, excepting for people who turn their computer on without a heatsink.

The main reason to avoid heat is stability, so if you're stable at that speed and temp I'd say you're golden.

Keep it under 60C and you're legit.

....or lower depending on if your processor gets picky at higher speeds when OC'n.

cool thanks guys..looking through the various OC threads a lot of people seem to be getting high 40s on load. 53c doesnt seem too bad but i hate seeing that 50c+..maybe ill just go ahead and remount the dang ninja :rolleyes:

I hit like 53-55C max with my lapped stock cooler (when my ambient temps are similar to yours), so you should probably be getting lower temps on that ninja.

60C is the "dangerous" threshold for AMDs, higher for Intels.
No, going over 50C will not slowly kill your CPU. However, "overclocked" is a different story, as you will probably have voltages above normal tolerances on your motherboard, chipset, and RAM. This means you could be at higher risk for failure... but its not really based on your CPU temp.

If you can keep a CPU below 60C at all times the CPU itself will probably last a good long while, no matter what fsb/multiplier its running at.

I wanted to say something else but im sleepy and I forgot my train of thought :p

nobi125 said:
I hit like 53-55C max with my lapped stock cooler (when my ambient temps are similar to yours), so you should probably be getting lower temps on that ninja.
yeah, ill try and remount it. i thought i did a good job the first time around too :rolleyes:

Davan said:
60C is the "dangerous" threshold for AMDs, higher for Intels.
No, going over 50C will not slowly kill your CPU. However, "overclocked" is a different story, as you will probably have voltages above normal tolerances on your motherboard, chipset, and RAM. This means you could be at higher risk for failure... but its not really based on your CPU temp.

If you can keep a CPU below 60C at all times the CPU itself will probably last a good long while, no matter what fsb/multiplier its running at.

I wanted to say something else but im sleepy and I forgot my train of thought :p

yeah, it never gets close to 60c so i suppose im good on that end. also, ive never increased any voltage yet with the OC. but i would like to see lower temps with that ninja.

[Didn't read, sigh]

On stock volts, I'd doubt you'd need to worry about anything that could potentially ruin your CPU, generally at high voltage + heat conditions, electron migration becomes a huge (destructive) problem. Hows your case ventilation? That seems about 2 degrees too high for a ninja in 70's ambient.

Arcygenical said:
That seems about 2 degrees too high for a ninja in 70's ambient.
my thoughts exactly..i think the ventilation is decent; i am running everything in a lian-li pc-60b case. i have a yate-loon 120mm fan on the ninja blowing toward the exhaust fan on the back of the case with one intake fan in the front.

before i had a a64 3800+ (stock, not OC'd) with the Arctic Freezer 64. the side of the case was pretty cool back then. Now the side of the case is noticeably warmer. I followed the arctic silver instructions too but now that i think about it i might have lifted the ninja when i pressed down the first clip (didnt expect to use so much force). thats the only thing i can think of right now as to why the temp is a bit high

Back