Safe Motherboard temp?

Dude420

n00b
I'm trying to do all my research before overclocking for the first time. Right now I have an MSI P55A-G55. I'm very happy with it and it has ran flawlessly.

Now regarding temperature, I'm using H/W Monitor and from what I've read on the net, TMPIN0, 1 and 2 are connected to the motherboard.

I noticed that when I stress test my CPU (i5 @ 2.8ghz, stock speed) at 100% load (for just 10 minutes), TMP0 reads a max of 43C, TMPIN1 reads a max of 58C and TMPIN2 reads a max of 31C.

I'm not sure what else to say from this but would you guys know the threshold temp. for a mobo like this?

If you want I be more specific, or try out a program that could help answer my question, I'll gladly do it.

i have a gigabyte p67 and the mainboard temp has been at 54-58 depending on room temp since early Jan , i don't see a problem at that temp. that is with a pretty high overclock and a corsair 700d case without much air flow. you might want to rig a fan to blow across the primary heat sink

But that's the thing though, you have a high overclock while i don't. If I bump up my i5 760 from 2.8ghz to say 3.6ghz, will I see a large increase by say, 20C? I have CM Hyper 212+ as my CPU HSF if that says anything.

But that's the thing though, you have a high overclock while i don't. If I bump up my i5 760 from 2.8ghz to say 3.6ghz, will I see a large increase by say, 20C? I have CM Hyper 212+ as my CPU HSF if that says anything.

No, you will not see a big temperature increase just my increasing the speed of the processor.

You will only see a big temperature increase if you bump up the voltage of the CPU.
Increased voltage = increased temperature

Most integrated circuits play around the 60~100c zone for unsafe temp,
its more or less a given that under full load for 90% of all the integrated circuits out their that if your under this temp its all good.

So its all green on my screen captain on the temp topic.

and don't go from 2.8ghz to say 3.6ghz, go from 2.8~2.9 check\2.9~3.0 check\3.0~3.1 check

Intel recommends that your cpu is safe to run at up to 72.7c
You can go higher if you want but i don't play that game my self and imho the people that do are doorknobs with crappy air cooling.

You're fine. The Intel 5 series PCH can tolerate over 100c.

@ havokator

True, sorry about that, thanks.

@ WarZone

Thanks for the tip, but I'm already aware of the baby steps :)

I have my HS fan going at 50% and so far my CPU has reached a max of 45C while playing games, I'm sure I'm ok for overclocking the i5.

@ Xeth

Does that mean it's the integrated chipsets on the mobo?

My only concern is the motherboard because some people claimed that increasing the voltage might fry your mobo. Some people claim their mobo is running at a max temp. of 85C while some say the unsafe temp (like Warzone) is 60 - 100C.

Again my board is an MSI P55A-G55, when I used prime95 for about ten minutes, it was having a hard time going over 58C, maybe longer it would have reached over 60.

http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&prod_no=1998

So if you see my temp reading in my first post, does that tell you I'm ok to up the voltage a bit? Will making a 0.05 volt increase increase the temp by 10C?

I'm sorry about the stupid questions.

5478362445_9f4a75d23e_b.jpg

Here's a photo of the readings of a 10 minute CPU test just now, it seems that TMPIN0 changed this time, still not as bad as TMPIN1 though.

Last edited:
Me being a temp nut it would bother me too..id rig a fan setup for the heatsink, you'll see a big difference in temps...but realistically those temps are within spec...
so if it bothers you, now you have a little project to keep you busy....

thing is increasing the voltage forces the mosfets to work harder. If they aren't properly cooled or rated at those voltages, then they'll blow

your temps seem fine

Thanks everyone for assuring me that I'm fine. Before I'm done with this thread, I would like to ask. If my temps are fine, is it ok to increase the voltage a bit for some overclocking? Or do you suggest I get a heatsink for the chipset? I don't plan to do a huge overclock to say...4.0ghz with an i5.

I just want to try it out, as I said in my first post. I'm trying to do my research before I start. By taking baby steps, what temperature do you recommend I stop at?

possible meaning of numbers for cpuid
TEMPIN0=System Temp
TEMPIN1=North Bridge
TEMPIN2=South Bridge

possible reading Everest
SYS = TMPIN0 = Motherboard
CPU = TMPIN1 = CPU
MCH = TMPIN2 = Northbridge

Really you should check your temps with piles of different software and or by other means in order to cross check were the temp reading is coming from even if that means doing it the manual way.

Btw did your mobo come with software to check temps from your desktop ? if so whats that saying on this topic.

Software gets it wrong all the time and if your playing with the life of your hardware based on the reading of one single app, then i don't know what to tell you .

after reading up on the topic some i cant even tell you what it is were talking about on the temp topic

Dude420: Thanks for the tip, but I'm already aware of the baby steps
Dude420: I just want to try it out, as I said in my first post. I'm trying to do my research before I start. By taking baby steps
*blank stare* say what ?

Btw theirs piles of free temp reading apps out their,imho go find like 10 diffident ones and cross reference all the temps and see if the numbers all line up.Its what id do.

And im not 100% convinced i know what we are talking about here and till we are i can only advise what i all ready have,and that is when in doubt keep it under 60c , until you find solid prof that's saying different.

And in any case the cooler a integrated circuit is the happier it is \ better it works \ faster it works \ longer it lasts meaning that even if you don't need it 9 times out of 10 its a win win scenario regardless.

@ Warzone, what I mean by baby steps, is overclocking the speed in the method that you've mentioned.

"and don't go from 2.8ghz to say 3.6ghz, go from 2.8~2.9 check\2.9~3.0 check\3.0~3.1 check"

Sorry I wasn't being specific.

All I want to know is since my mobo for now reads 56C to 58C, is it safe to overclock? Is it ok to go over 60C or do I really need an aftermarket heatsink before I attempt this.

"Really you should check your temps with piles of different software and or by other means in order to cross check were the temp reading is coming from even if that means doing it the manual way."

Ok I will do that.

go to radio shack and buy an inexpensive infrared thermometer..you point it at the component ,push the button and your temp appears in the window...i purchased one from autozone for like 20 bucks and its pretty spot on....really helps in identifying those software temps as to what component there reading...I know on this dfi board im useing everest, it reports almost exactly what my digital infrared does and i use the sidebar gadget to keep it in view showing all my temps that ive chosen to monitor..

+1
agreed

I should go do that my self,im still doing it the old school way with my finger ;)

And sorry dude420, its just i never know how much someone knows about overclocking so i start with as you put it baby steps.
I don't do this out of disrespect but more from of point of view of wanting to cover all the bases and at the same time to give a little overclocking IQ test to the person im dealing with.

if what im covering is to basic you need only say so and ill raise the bar up as high as you want it :)

if someting in the system is running at 60+°c (or near it) it will feel hot to the touch. there is nothing wrong with feeling your heatsinks to try and figure out where the heat is. just do not touch anything on the board its self. if you find that your NB is really hot.. add cooling. if its cool, check the mosfets... etc. voltage, as has been said, is what causes heat. adding voltage is only needed when you cant achieve stability at [speed] get close to where you want to be, test for stability. if its unstable add voltage. check temps and stability under load. rinse and repeat.

there is really no "you cannot go over this temp" for any one piece of silicone. they will all respond differently. intell/amd set the speeds of the chips for a reason. going above and beyond that speed is always a risk. but lets not kid ourselves here, we all know that chips for the same series should be able to do the same speeds, and there is some binning going on. however it is still a craps shoot as to where your chip/board/ram will land you with your config. the only way to know is to test it.

your asking of "is going over 60°c safe" for a gpu, yes. for ram...no... my point being, that while you have a number being read out to you by a program. until you know for sure that number is absolutely your NB, or your CPU, there is no way to know how reliable that number is. as has been mentioned. cross check your numbers. feel with your hands... if something in your system goes form say 50+°c to 60° there will be noticeable heat output. it would be safe to say that temp meter is reading that component .

if you want to know what voltage will do, and how fast temps may rise, leave your speeds at stock and add just a little here and there. watch for the temp increase. im willing to bet it wont be as dramatic as you think it will.

In all my years of o/clocking and being a temp nut ive never had any hardware failure, never...
I attribute this to useing quality power supplies and making fan setups in my case to keep temps as cool as possible...I dont do extreme o/clocking just as high as i can go ,well within safe limits using air cooling....i learned in baby steps too..did alot of reading until i understood completely what each value was and the temp operating value of the component i was o/clocking...
my current system is o/clocked to 4.0 with turbo on [190x21] full out....my cpu goes to 68-70c under max load prime, northbridge at 48-51c..my idle or light load temps cpu 37-41c on all cores, NB 37-39c..system is in my sig...I have all fans connected to a fan controller so i can monitor temps and increase airflow as needed...the case is fairly quiet at low loads and high loads gaming you can hear some fan noise but nothing annoying...i even have my 4850 fan hooked to the fan controller...this system runs nice and cool for an o/clocked i7 x58 system and it took me a couple of months to get everything setup the way i wanted it...with good stable power and good airflow you will have a system that will last you as long as you want to keep it without a hardware failure due to temp too high..
this dfi board runs cool and i like the bling coloring in my windowed lian li case...when people see it its very impressive and has been responsible for selling many custom built units...Its like they see it and how much to build me something like that....bling sells to the general public...lol

Last edited:
Agreed Thor & wesleys_dad
Well said *impressed*

And ya agreed when it comes to ram~60° zone = bad idea,same with hdd.
It just gos to show you that even in integrated circuit land, some times even 60c is too high.
I remember my AMD k62 cpu 500@575Mhz use to freak if it cleared the 40c zone ;)

And same story here Agreed Thor & wesleys_dad , i haven't fried computer hardware from overclocking in more years then i care to remember.

And my self when i wonder a around with my trusty finger probe looking for heat.
If i find any on a chip and i don't even know what it is but it seems to be cranking out more heat then i like ill just slap something like this on it with double sided thermal tape
!BgZ+qow!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKi8ErzSIKF)gBLFJkM9!hw~~_35.JPG

Lol btw sometimes ill ghetto mod heat sinks on things using so many tricks if i told you some of the things iv done in the pass you'd laff :O)
Were talking red&green show computer mods {junk yard wars, computer edition} with your host, hill billy bob at his computer junk yard shop with crazy glue and god knows\who cares right, as long as it works out that's what matters.

Ps for low TDP chips dollar store double sided sticky tape works out grate sometimes.:D

I have to say, thanks guys for all this great info. All my questions have been answered :). I appreciate you guys taking the time to give a well thought out explanation.

Yes, I will do what you guys have suggested. Besides, the reason I want to overclock is because tomorrow I'm getting a Corsair HX650 and an MSI GTX 560 Twin Frozr. I really want to try out some overclocking, hence me getting a great quality psu.

Again thanks a lot.

And Warzone, thanks for being patient with me. Sorry if I sounded a little stupid lol.

Edit: I'm obviously going to do what was suggested here, but I thought I'd show something a little different. I've downloaded Aida64, which supposedly the successor to Everest and this is what I got. It seems that TMPIN1 in HWMonitor is associated with Aux in Aida (look under Value for both programs).

5484507052_2d583fc9e1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back