Safe 2.26B Voltage?

erorr404

Gawd
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
646
At stock, it's something like 1.46 V (according to MSI Core Center) and I cannot reach a 2.5 GHz overclock (147 MHz FSB). If I raise it in BIOS to 1.55 V though, it seems pretty stable at 2.5 GHz, but will not do 2.6 GHz. Is it safe to raise the voltage to 1.65 V or even 1.75 V? Or is 1.55 V the highest safe voltage for everyday use?
Thanks ;)
 
Nevermind, this CPU is such a piece of crap.
Yesterday it was Sandra stable at 2.5 GHz @ 1.55 V, today it doesn't do 2.5 at all, not even at 1.6 V (the motherboards highest voltage). In fact, I tried 3dmark2001 and it won't even do 2.4 GHz without crashing. Looks like the max stable OC on this CPU would be around 2.3 GHz, a 74 MHz improvement :rolleyes:.
I was hoping to overclock this CPU so that it wouldn't limit the 6600GT I ordered so much.
 
As a rule of thumb, I recall 1.7v being the max for Northwood before the infamous SNDS (Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome) would occur after maybe weeks to months.

Just curious, have you ruled the memory and board out as a possible bottleneck? I remember the 2.26 regularly hit 2.6. Does the board allow a memory divider? Any extra chipset voltage to give 'er? How's the heatsink mated with the northbridge (stock TIM usually does not have good heat transfer)?
 
PliotronX said:
As a rule of thumb, I recall 1.7v being the max for Northwood before the infamous SNDS (Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome) would occur after maybe weeks to months.
Then I don't have to worry about that, since the max my motherboard allows is 1.60 V.

PliotronX said:
Just curious, have you ruled the memory and board out as a possible bottleneck? I remember the 2.26 regularly hit 2.6. Does the board allow a memory divider? Any extra chipset voltage to give 'er? How's the heatsink mated with the northbridge (stock TIM usually does not have good heat transfer)?
It's not the memory. I'm using PC2700 underclocked from 166 MHz to 133 MHz using a 1:1 divider with CPU. So as long as I don't hit over 166 MHz FSB it should remain underlocked.
About the voltage, it doesn't seem to make any difference. It's unstable at 2.4 GHz (17 x 141 MHz) with stock voltage (1.45 V) as well as with the highest voltage the motherboard allows (1.6 V).
My temps go up to 60 C on heavy load when at 1.6 V, and up to 45-50 C on stock voltage. Idle temp is around 30 C. So it looks like the temps are OK with stock heatsink.

Thanks for the reply, PliotronX!
 
Back
Top