Sad Statistic of the Day

Unfortunately, not every part of the US has highspeed internet let alone broadband. And out of those areas with either dialup or Hughesnet as your only options, AOL is the cheapest dialup provider.

people use dialup?

I live near Seattle and there are areas in communities around a major metropolitian area like ours that do not have broadband service available so people I work with use dial-up with AOL. I can only imagine how much worse it is in the southern areas of the U.S. where it's tons more rural that there's almost no broadband at all in a vast majority of the region. Not that it matters since people there have bigger worries like getting electricity and clean water.

I'm forced to maintain my ancient AOL account because of [H]ard|Forum, oddly enough...

No, seriously, no other accounts I own seem to be accepted by the forums. Every time I try to switch over to one of my other accounts, I'm told my email address is banned. A moment later the forum auto-reverts my email address back to the old AOL one.

At this point, my AOL account is used for nothing but [H] and that one annoying friend who still uses AIM and wont switch to a different IM program :p

You can use AOL email and instant messaging all free via AOL.com, no subscription necessary.

I've actually helped wean many off of AOL. Most don't even understand that AOL made most of the services that they use free years ago in an effort to become some sort of web portal.

You can use AOL email and instant messaging all free via AOL.com, no subscription necessary.

I've actually helped wean many off of AOL. Most don't even understand that AOL made most of the services that they use free years ago in an effort to become some sort of web portal.

Thank you for this!

My grandma is sadly one of those 3.3 million and she has been paying for AOL for 20+ years because of her email account. Not only does she pay for AOL, she also pays for another internet provider. I've tried numerous times to get her to stop. She likes the "welcome" screen when she signs into AOL and that is her one email address.

I actually used to do phone tech support for AOL. I remember whenever anyone threatened to quit, we were instructed to forward them to the retention department when they'd get at least a month for free, if not a discount for a year or something.

My own parents used to use it until I think 4 years ago. They live in an area that never got cable TV or DSL, so they have 3 options. 1. dial up. 2. $300 for Satellite install, $150 per month for still pretty shitty service, and now 3. 3G cellular service, with incredibly low data caps. like, 30 gigs a month or something.

They live on a Canadian island in Lake Erie, and I keep telling them to move off of it, tempting them with my FIOS connection when they visit me.

I work on a lot of machines and a lot of middle aged/older people are the ones that use AOL. In their minds its the internet and AOL are one in the same word. Once that generation dies AOL will die also.

Unfortunately they'll be the last generation with a lifetime of good medical care.

Lol my dad used to get promotional disc's in the mail and he would always give them to me to go throw around outside. They were pretty cool when they hit the ground and blew up. I cleaned it all up of course :p. This stat is pretty sad though.

Those AOL subscribers are probably all elderly, very elderly by now.

I advise my subcontractors to who still use AOL to "get a Gmail account if not nothing else." AOL email accounts screams -very computer ignorant- and very unprofessional.

Back