Sad performance with latest nivida drivers and/or cards

MGCJerry

Limp Gawd
I have this issue I have just been "dealing with" for quite some time now, and its getting old. Very old.

There are 2 programs I used to use quite a lot and now, they are rendered almost completely useless by the latest craze of new hardware and bloated drivers.

Lets start with the one that is useless... uPaint. Its that program that comes with UT2k4 to allow you to "paint" on 3d models to be added into the game. Ever since 6.6.7.6 drivers, this program is not responsive. This occured on my old AGP (6600GT) based system, and has been present on my current machine PCI-X (7300GS). Of course, running latest and greatest doesnt help, it doesnt work in a fresh install of 2k, XP or even vista. Perhaps an nvidia problem? Has anyone heard of this, or know of some other nifty little tweaks that may help this. Updating the app has no effect... Same outcome.

The other problem is with Worms World Party which ran fine with the 6.6.7.6 drivers, but with anything newer, the game takes ages to go through the title screens. The fades are unbelieveably slow. As above the same issue occurs regardless of OS and updates. So, does anyone else still have and play Worms World Party on their high performance machine?

Heres some spacs for starters.
* "Old" 15GB HD for windows and windows alone.
* New 320GB HD which passes surface scan tests which I do before putting any HD in service.
* nVidia 7300GS 256MB video card latest drivers (non OC'd or volt modded)
* Windows 2000 SP4
* Jetway 939GT-SLI mobo (latest BIOS)
* AMD X2 4400 (previously had a plain 3000)
* 1GB (2x512) Corsair XMS Pro (2-3-3-7) <-- these timings give me the best bang for the buck

Remember, it worked fine with the 6.6.7.6 drivers (which were beta and unsigned for the copy I have, go figure). on my old now long gone machine.

So is anyone else encoutering these kind of issues with their cards... Share em. :p I'm curious to see what other little issues people have run across and which apps make it to the endliess bit abyss of incompatibility and usually ends up being removed...

Janes F-15
Janes Fighters Anthology
Worms World Party
uPaint

Sounds to me like UT2k4 and the other games on that list need to be patched (if a patch is available). Its the game developers job to patch their software to take advantage of new drivers and such. If developers don't update their software sooner or later it'll no longer work, in your case its sooner. With UT2k7 on the way this year I doubt UT2k4 will get any more updates.

Back