Sacrifice - One of the most underrated PC games?

aznpxdd

2[H]4U
I was browsing around the web and bumped into this game. I used to play it a lot and loved it, but it doesn't seem like it is/was very well known. It is probably one of the most original and wacky game I've ever played. Anyone here used to played this game?

sacrifice640.jpg

:D

Hmm... never heard of that game before. Was it shareware or something?

Nope, it was a full retail game by Shiny. Read some reviews and definitely check the game out, it's well worth it.

I used to know some people who played that game religiously back in the day.

They don't make original games like that anymore, anyone remember Giants?

Another one of those great titles that did terrible at retail.

Now where did that box of old software go?

Hell yeah. One of my favourite games of all time. Probably makes my top ten, if not top five.

For those of you who haven't played it, it's an RTS. Though you'd never guess it from the screenshots... You control a sorcerer from a third-person perspective, and summon/command units from there (though you've still got a cursor, so it's pretty intuitive). Shiny are the same guys who did Earthworm Jim, so that should give you an idea of the kind of wacky design to expect (plus they threw a few references in there - the worm god James, and the "Bovine Intervention" spell, to name a couple :D ).

Camera angle aside, the thing I found really set it apart as an RTS is the resource system. To build units, you need souls, and to get souls, you need to leech them from the corpses of your enemies - in other words, there's always the same number of souls on the battlefield, and you're fighting to increase your share. Because of the way the system is arranged (I'll spare you the details here), you'll usually only see a couple of souls change hands in a battle, but these tiny shifts in the balance of power eventually give someone a decisive advantage.

Oh man I loved this game. I guess it was in 1999/2000? That seemed to be the year all sorts of amazingly creative games came out. No One Lives Forever, Giants Citizen Kabuto, Sacrifice, Planescape Torment, the list goes on and on. Best year in gaming I can remember.

It was ok - i found it very boring. The graphics aren't that bad even for today. I mean they aren't super duper realisitic but they are quite pleasing and it is still playable. Actually, I could never get it to run under xp - so i had to play it on windows 98. Not sure if it will work on xp at all (i tried both xp native, 98 emultaion and 95 emulation).

I had it back in the day when Maximum PC was drooling over it. Nice graphics for the time and original gameplay.

Wow brings back memories, I used to play it a lot back in the day, I really loved it, though after a while it did feel tedious.

For those of you who haven't played it, it's an RTS. Though you'd never guess it from the screenshots...
AGREE - When I got it I thought I would be getting a single player third person platform type of game, I didnt even realise it was an RTS until I installed it and started playing :s

I used to know some people who played that game religiously back in the day.

They don't make original games like that anymore, anyone remember Giants?

If you mean Giants Citizen Kabuto, then yes, and that was a very original and great game game and i still dont see anything like it to date. the online play was the best part, so addicting.

I played it and I actually also played it online. I hardly ever found anyone to play agaisnt but boy was I good in it... I have not tried to run it in xp yet. Does it work in XP?

If you mean Giants Citizen Kabuto, then yes, and that was a very original and great game game and i still dont see anything like it to date.
Go grab a copy of Armed and Dangerous, Planet Moon's follow-up to Giants. So many similarities it could almost be a sequel.

I actually almost made a thread about this a couple days ago. Awesome game.

Shiny was also behind another game that was pretty unique from around the same time...Messiah I believe it was called. Anyone else ever play that?

I still have it and used to play it quite a lot along with Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Two of the best games ever made.

I remember sacrifice, I was one of the few who bought it.

Fun, very original and creative game

Awesome game.

Very underrated.

At the time it was released, it was the graphics benchmark for PC games.

It is also one of my favorites. I think a good description would be a fantasy version of the PC remake of Battlezone.

Awesome game.

Very underrated.

At the time it was released, it was the graphics benchmark for PC games.

It is also one of my favorites. I think a good description would be a fantasy version of the PC remake of Battlezone.

Man I was a Battlezone junkie back in the day. Uprising and Urban Assault were really good action/RTS's too.

I got this game with my Gf3ti200 card back in 99? It looked great on that card, however I could never get into it, and it might have been because of some bugs I had... I'd have to say the FPS games were taking too much attention away from me during those years ;)

very good game, though the audible alerts were the most fucking annoying things ever

I swear every time you even blinked it would go "warning: you just blinked"

Still a wonderful game though.

very good game, though the audible alerts were the most fucking annoying things ever

One of my favorite audible warnings ever was in that game!

It was something like, "ALL OF YOUR MANAWHORES HAVE BEEN SLAUGHTERED!!!"

I miss manawhores. :p

I was browsing around the web and bumped into this game. I used to play it a lot and loved it, but it doesn't seem like it is/was very well known. It is probably one of the most original and wacky game I've ever played. Anyone here used to played this game?

sacrifice640.jpg

:D

I pre ordered it and spent well over 1000 hours playing it online and off,went through all the campaings with all the different gods.Great graphics,and well deserves a well funded sequel,which it'll never get,as it barely sold over 30k copies. :(

{QUOTE=Time2Kill;1030687961]I actually almost made a thread about this a couple days ago. Awesome game.

Shiny was also behind another game that was pretty unique from around the same time...Messiah I believe it was called. Anyone else ever play that?[/QUOTE]

Pre ordered it before it went gold,way before,and it was a great game that was playable after the second patch.Very original,insanely great graphics,very buggy at launch.Hard as HELL at high difficulty

I still have it and used to play it quite a lot along with Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Two of the best games ever made.

Again,played it to death when it came out,and it was quite popular when the Geforce 2 Ultra came out.I still have issues of Pc Gamer with Nvidia ads showcasing screenies of Giants and Sacrafice...Ahh those were the days....
I loved playing with those smarties :D Not only do I still have all three games,and the original discs,but the boxes as well,Darn......... I am a pack rat :)

Damn this thread, it made me clean my office up in my efforts to relocate my original copy! I think I got this with my Sapphire 9800 NP purchase all the way back in 2001. Installing it again. :)

It does... but I have dropped textures, where it flashes and then reassembles the scenery. It isn't a deal-breaker as the game is otherwise functional in all other ways under WinXP with my current drivers. I played around with the settings, using Bilinear and Bump Mapping instead of Detail Mapping and the flashes are minimal now. It's playable.

Back