Sabertooth Z77 with >2 sticks of ram won't work!

Hi guys,
I've been running the Z77 with 2x4gb for a couple of years now fine.
Recently, I bought another 2x4gb to add to it. Same model ram, I think slightly different timings but nothing big.

The motherboard won't utilize either stick in the 2nd channel. It just picks up the Channel 1 8gb.

Weird thing is, CPU-Z does see all 16GB, but Windows nor Bios does not. I don't know why CPUZ sees them as different bandwidths, but they're all DDR3-1600.

I've updated BIOS to the latest from Asus.
I've tested ALL sticks of ram with memtest and they all work fine. I've booted into Windows with each individual stick.

This leads me to think there's a motherboard issue or setting I'm unaware of.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!!

6t217d.jpg

1jb76p.jpg

XMP enabled, memory remapping enabled?

Looks like timings are close but one kit is 667/other kit is 800. You will probably have to run them at 667 and then work them up until you can find a happy spot.

Actually with XMP looks like they all should run 800.

Looks like they are running at 667MHz right now. You'll probably have to manually adjust them to 800MHz or enable XMP with timings of 9-9-9-27.

I'm surprised you can actually get into Windows currently.

Hmmn, more proof that memory makers are not doing what they should be doing. The programmed SPD is at JEDEC 666MHz with the new memory. Note that slot 2 and 4 are true and proper programmed SPD at 800Mhz.

I agree with the other two posters that you will need to use XMP profile to enable 800MHz and it should work fine, except for 2T command rate. I also suggest you read what I found myself, and how it seems the memory manufacturers are trying to screw the ignorant consumer: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1808839&highlight=

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention to you is the fact that If you do use XMP your memory will be at 1.65v.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I ordered another pair of the SAME ram just to be sure since timings were slightly different.

The new set also does not work. (both sticks memtested)

I turned on XMP and set them to both PC3-1600 and PC3-1333 and increased VCCSA slightly along with PCH.

Still does not work! CPUID sees them all fine.... but neither Windows nor BIOS can see Channel B

Any other suggestions? Thanks guys...!
345g9hd.jpg

My original build had 1 4GB Adata 1600 to hold me until my Crucial 4x4 arrived. On initial build selected XMP profile in UEFI bios.

When my Crucial arrived reset UEFI bios to default and shutdown. Inserted one stick Crucial into slot A2 and booted back into UEFI/Advanced mode and selected XMP profile, saved and exited then shutdown.

Inserted 2nd stick into B2 slot and again booted into UEFI/Advanced. At that point I didn't have to do anything else, 2nd slot was running same as 1st. Save and exit, shutdown and populated A1 and B1 and again rebooted into UEFI/Advanced and everything was happy. Windows 8.1 was loaded with original Adata 4GB. Windows recognized each of the Crucial sticks as I added each step.

Make sure your board is completely dead/discharged/unplugged from all power as you remove install each stick/kit. PSU/display/or anything that is plugged in (USB hub/printer/power brick).

Found this youtube vid for the Z77, no narration but see if you missed something he may have done.
[yt]3Z2jFlDUIHw[/yt]
http://youtu.be/3Z2jFlDUIHw

Make sure you reset uefi bios to default b4 you remove add sticks???

IIRC in UEFI Advanced after you enable XMP scroll down and make sure correct speed (1600) is selected.

Are you able to overclock within BIOS? Do you see the Turbo Ratio option at all? I've heard this is a known issue with the "ME chip" being corrupted. I really have no more information than that.

Back