sabertooth p67 versus P8P67 deluxe

kandor

Gawd
I currently have the sabertooth p67 but will be swapping it for a rev3 replacement soon. I will have the opportunity to swap it for a P8P67 deluxe at that time.

While I do like the board there are a couple of things that make me think I should upgrade to the deluxe model.

First, the sabertooth p67 has an 8+2 phase power setup whereas the deluxe has 16+2 Phase Power

Second, the sabertooth doesn't have a TPU or EPU chip!

Any other reasons to make a switch? Apart from those 2 things I like the board fine, it's running with a x46 multiplier cpuv between 1 and 1.35 depending on load. Stays nice and cool with an H70.

Second, the sabertooth doesn't have a TPU or EPU chip!

EPU is off on mine... and like you I do my own overclocks. Seems you're not missing much! Well, the 2 sata 3 ports in the little box, hmmm...

Although, this B3 is just as good as my original in the oc department. Get one if you can I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Second gigabit ethernet port is the main reason I went with the Deluxe.

I have to ask, what do you use the second port for? Teaming? Does it work well?
No, nothing so advanced. Just for Internet sharing without the need to have a router in front of the P8P67 based computer.

don't be fooled by the 8+2 versus 16+2 crap....I believe the sabertooth uses much higher quality caps. Hell, the Maximus is "only" 8+3....but the quality is far superior to anything you'll see on the deluxe board.

That's good to know, 'cause I am exactly the person who will get fooled by '16+2 phase power' :) Because 16 is more than 8 you see. The truth is, I love the sabertooth board so far, but I was bummed about not having the TPU chip after reading the hardocp review where it was mentioned that they were more successful overclocking a 2600k with TurboV evo than they were in bios....

Anyhow, the sabertooth looks great sitting in my antec 1200 with an h70 on it. For a case with 10 fans (all on low), it's now the quietest computer in my office.

Conscript is correct about the power phases. Quality > Quantity in this case.

Also I believe the Deluxe has Raid on the Marvell & Intel ports. The Sabertooth only has raid on the Intel Ports.

The Sabertooth has a bunch of extra temperature sensors all over the board.

Also keep in mind while the TUF Armor looks cool it requires a fan to blow down under it to cool the components. You're suppose to use a CPU HSF that blows down versus the towers with fans that blow to the side. If you have a tower type heatsink (like a TRUE or Hyper 212) there is a slot for you to put a 50mm fan to blow air under the TUF Armor. I have found that running ATITool Artifact test the PCIE temperature sensor alarm (ASUS Monitoring software) will go off if you don't have any airflow blowing under the TUF armor.

Also keep in mind while the TUF Armor looks cool it requires a fan to blow down under it to cool the components. You're suppose to use a CPU HSF that blows down versus the towers with fans that blow to the side. If you have a tower type heatsink (like a TRUE or Hyper 212) there is a slot for you to put a 50mm fan to blow air under the TUF Armor. I have found that under heavy gaming the PCIE temperature sensor alarm (ASUS Monitoring software) will go off if you don't have any airflow blowing under the TUF armor.

Where did you get this from? I've been gaming heavy since I bought the board, an alarm never went off.
The "optional" mounted fan for the motherboard isn't "required."

The motherboard comes with a 1 page sheet on the TUF Thermal Armor.

This is what is what it says:

"To achieve the best cooling environment, a downward blowing CPU cooler is required. If you are not using a downward blowing CPU cooler, we recommend that you install a 50mm x 50mm x 10mm assistant fan on the Thermal Armor."

I ran my motherboard without the assistant fan until I noticed the temperature warning from the AI Suite software. Its a little window pop up that goes away. I think you will only see it if your in windows. It will not take over the screen from a game.

I'm considering putting one on, since I'm cooling with an H70, but even so, all the temps across the motherboard are really low 25-32, except vcore1 under prime95 reaches 50c - but I don't know if that is hot for the vcore. CPU stays mid '60s on prime x46 multiplier.

I haven't had a problem with Prime95. The only time the board got hot was with stress testing the video card.

The motherboard comes with a 1 page sheet on the TUF Thermal Armor.

This is what is what it says:

"To achieve the best cooling environment, a downward blowing CPU cooler is required. If you are not using a downward blowing CPU cooler, we recommend that you install a 50mm x 50mm x 10mm assistant fan on the Thermal Armor."

I ran my motherboard without the assistant fan until I noticed the temperature warning from the AI Suite software. Its a little window pop up that goes away. I think you will only see it if your in windows. It will not take over the screen from a game.

OK, I'm looking at it now. A lot of control over temps on this board. Very interesting.
Everything is cool now, in the mid 20C range. I run a few games in window mode to see if the window pops up.

Back