Sabertooth 990FX?

PiEownz

Gawd
This motherboard is obviously new and ASUS has never done a sabertooth series for AMD. So how does sabertooth compare to UD7, CHIIV, CHV, MSi 990FXA-GD80 etc?

I have the Sabertooth mobo. Don't know how it compares but it's a stable board, Running with a 965 BE, Installed 16GB Gskil DDR3 1866 memory and it runs at 1600mhz., with no tweaking at all. Did have a problem booting with USB keyboard so I'm using a ps2 keyboard now with a Logitech USB mouse. Win 7 wants to be the primary boot OS. To boot into Vista on a different drive I just use the F8 option, I'm told a BIOS update is in the works. Don't have any USB-3.0 devices so cannot comment.

given that the board doesn't vary all that much from the other ASUS 990FX boards(except for some extra features only ASUS uses) its going to perform the same or better.

just go into the bios and turn USB keyboard/legacy support on even though it should be on by default since its using the UEFI bios, flywheel.

It just another high end series of ASUS boards, though ASUS claims this board uses higher quality components and comes with a 5yr water, these boards are usually just as nice as there ROG boards and overclock just as well. I highly recommend the 990FX also check out Legitreviews review of the ASUS 990FX

just go into the bios and turn USB keyboard/legacy support on even though it should be on by default since its using the UEFI bios, flywheel.

couple of us reported this same issue over in the official ASUS 9** thread. unable to select any boot menu related stuff w/usb keyboards, plugged into USB 2.0 ports, legacy support enabled, etc. i booted one time with a ps/2 kb installed so i could get into safe mode, and the usb kbs have worked correctly since.

i haven't had any luck getting 16GB of RAM to run at 1600MHz. i can run either pair of 2x4GB modules at 1600, but not all 4 banks populated at the same time. might try different stuff, as i usually get g.skill, but opted for corsair this time.

couple of us reported this same issue over in the official ASUS 9** thread. unable to select any boot menu related stuff w/usb keyboards, plugged into USB 2.0 ports, legacy support enabled, etc. i booted one time with a ps/2 kb installed so i could get into safe mode, and the usb kbs have worked correctly since.

i haven't had any luck getting 16GB of RAM to run at 1600MHz. i can run either pair of 2x4GB modules at 1600, but not all 4 banks populated at the same time. might try different stuff, as i usually get g.skill, but opted for corsair this time.

Have you tried changing the timings of the ram? You might need to adjust that as I had to adjust it for mine. I had to adjust my kingston ram because it was running at 1333 1.5v 9-9-9-24 when it should of been running 1600 1.65v 9-9-9-27 stock.

Have you tried changing the timings of the ram? You might need to adjust that as I had to adjust it for mine. I had to adjust my kingston ram because it was running at 1333 1.5v 9-9-9-24 when it should of been running 1600 1.65v 9-9-9-27 stock.

yeah, i've tried setting timings to spec, tried relaxing them, no joy. i have replacement ram arriving today. hopefully that'll take care of it.

yeah, i've tried setting timings to spec, tried relaxing them, no joy. i have replacement ram arriving today. hopefully that'll take care of it.

Hm, that is weird, but there is little to no difference between 1333 and 1600. RAM is RAM, that being said more ram is better.

Hm, that is weird, but there is little to no difference between 1333 and 1600. RAM is RAM, that being said more ram is better.

yep, but i also had pretty low stability at 1333MHz despite following JEDEC timings for that speed. if UPS ever gets here (being at the end of the route suuuuucks), i'll install the replacement sticks and if i run into similar stability problems, i'll look elsewhere for the problem :)

*update* received the new stuff and it works just fine. memory clock is right around 1700mhz atm w/my OC.

Last edited:
This is one of the two boards I suggest to recent AMD builders, the other being the RoG Crosshair V . The Sabertooth is basically just "a step below" the RoG boards, which means it still has really high end components and lots of great features. I personally tend to buy RoG because I like to make use of the extras they put there for enthusiasts, but I recommend Sabertooth to any who want excellent price/performance, are trying to save a little, or won't use the RoG featureset.

I really like how even with Sabertooth and RoG Crosshair, Asus and AMD have made the 990FX boards affordable and great price/performance. One reason I always suggest AMD if ultra-high CPU power and ultra-deep pockets aren't in the cards for that build, AMD comes out cheaper as a platform.

Having the x58 and P67 version that is rock stable at high clock speeds I don't see why the 990FX version wouldn't.

I guess the next build I do that's AMD il have to try this board before I can comment on it.

Back