s939 opterons...what motherboard are you using?

fubar569

[H]ard|Gawd
...and did you encounter any issues? will they work on ANY 939 board or are they hit or miss? just some questions since i saw a nice overclockable opty s939 and and MSI NEO2 Platinum 939 board in the FS/FT. Also, they run regular ram correct?

for overclocking with an opty, the DFI lanparty UT nf4 ultra-d or sli-d or sli-dr are really good boards. i have the ultra-d and I have my opty 170 at 2650mhz from 2000mhz stock. Its a really good mobo and a lot of people have the above mentioned boards paired with their opty's.

awesomeness. i might have to reconsider my build plans. it's pretty much required that i keep a board with AGP - i do not have the cash to upgrade to PCI-E at this point.

Dutt1113 said:
for overclocking with an opty, the DFI lanparty UT nf4 ultra-d or sli-d or sli-dr are really good boards. i have the ultra-d and I have my opty 170 at 2650mhz from 2000mhz stock. Its a really good mobo and a lot of people have the above mentioned boards paired with their opty's.

Correct even though it is not officially supported by DFI.

i read a huge thread on that very thing tonight actually, which brought up the question of wether or not it works in all boards...

i am really regretting my commitment to this socket A build now...grrr...

DFI's are the best for OCing and you only but an opteron for OCing noestly my asus sli-deluxe was stuck on HTT 260 and limited my OC. my DFI can go over 400 HTT :)

currently on a Ultra-D from DFI but will switch to a Asus A8R32-MVP because i can :D

1. AsRock sata2 was first. Sold to a friend and he just killed it @ over 2 years old. Clocking was snot on it but was very stable.
2. Abit Fatal1ty w/uGuru thingy. Sold after 2 months of trying to make it run at all. Came on down the line at there forums that my MSI 79gt and Maxtor DiamondMax 10's were the problem and it was cheaper to replace the mobo then the video and hd's
3. DFI Ultra-D sli-modded. (Thinking I killed it :( ) we shall see. Anywho deff the best of the 3 IMO for clocking / usability and all. If it is dead I am going to look for a DFI expert or the special V.

that's a bummer man :(

i just need to get a rig up and going, wether it be using this barton core XP i have or not.

the barton core XP should be good for 2.4 on stock AMD heatsink (went to 2.3 without temp issues/PSU held me back) and even more with high end air/water...but if i can get a s939 combo that overclocks like mad for under 200 shipped i'd jump on it quickly

ive got the asus a8n-e board and it o/clocks well .im at 2550mhz with stk volts and using an a64 3200 stk 2.0 now running 2550mhz.its honestly been the best motherboard ive had in years.it does everything well.the dfi ultra d is a good board also but sometimes takes a bit of fiddeling to get it to run fast and stable.the asus is rock solid stable.never crashes or blue screened.its one hell of a good board.ck it out and see if it meets your needs.the biostar tforce boards are also very good boards and o/clock well.my asus board likes corsair xms ram and runs 1 to 1 at 255htt. and at 1T timings.im just so happy with this setup i may skip am2 and go for am3 next year.

if you must keep agp, get the asrock dual sata2, and forget the massive overclocks, just buy an X2 thats clocked decently already. a 4200 or 4600 would serve you well for awhile. you are much better off having the ability to move to pci-e with that board than worrying about a massive overclock.

it is appealing, and i'm definitely considering that option as well. i'm waiting back on a reply from a person with a DFI board and opty that runs around 2.8ghz - this would be enough for me for awhile. i really didn't want to invest this kind of cash at this point but it'll last me till osme real interesting stuff comes out. plus i'm moving toward a laptop eventually...

if all else fails egg will be gettin a call for one of those boards more than likely

Using an ASUS A8V Deluxe for a 148. Its AGP, and its met my needs so far.

fubar569 said:
awesomeness. i might have to reconsider my build plans. it's pretty much required that i keep a board with AGP - i do not have the cash to upgrade to PCI-E at this point.

I had awesome luck with a 165 and an Asrock S939 Dual Sata2. Could run @ 300 HTT, it was my old rig. It has both AGP and PCI-E I used my AGP X800XL then moved on to a 7600GS PCI-E and had no problems

Screenshot

i wound up finding a socket a board afterall, but man did i get some nice ideas for my paycheck next month :cool:

thanks as always [H]

Back