s939 AGP motherboards that support A64 X2 out of the box?

deanx0r

Limp Gawd
I am looking into buying a A64 X2 and a new motherboard and the later one needs to support the X2 out of the box as I dont have any single core A64 to boot and flash the bios.

The DFI NF3 Ultra was in my mind but I rather avoid DFI for now.

I am interested into the ASUS A8V Deluxe and the MSI K8N Neo2. Will the combinaison of their stock bios and A64 X2 allow me to at least boot and reflash the bios for a full support of dual core cpu?

it should come with a good revision bios if you hbuy it brand new so i dont see why the neo2 wouldnt :D

0mega said:
it should come with a good revision bios if you hbuy it brand new so i dont see why the neo2 wouldnt :D

I saw the latest bios revision for the MSI is dated 7-12-05 and I would presume it can take quite a few weeks before units produced reach the shelves.

but X2's came out a WHILE ago, the first bios that supported them came out when? im not sure but someone must be... and the newest bios is 1.9, its newer than the one you posted, which i think is 1.8...

try asking someone who bought one in the last month what bios it came with

Yes. You can install Windows XP if the bios doesn't have X2 support. It will just show up as "unknown cpu" when you boot up. Once you get Windows XP up and running you can flash to the latest bios and get both cpus working. That's what I had to do when I bought an X2 cpu and a Chaintech VNF4 Ultra.

Pretty sure the Neo 2 will not come with that bios. I am running one and that bios is fairly new. As far as I know though, as long as the bios supports the venice core the cpu will work just in single core mode.

well out of the box-- i can't think of any that will support the DC's without a bios flash.

the a8v deluxe (yea its a hated via--but it is agp) flashes very well with the ez-flasher and through the asus windows flash tool . super easy --i would just buy the mb i wanted and flash it to the supporting bios for x2/dc-cpu. :cool:

Okay, I'll put it more simply. I got my A8N Deluxe four days ago and put an Athlon 64 x2 2200+ and loaded windows with NO problems. In other words, an A8N Deluxe, that is bought, store new, like from Newegg, comes with the proper BIOS and everything you would need to pair a 939 mobo and a DC.

deanx0r said:
the ASUS A8V Deluxe and ...

Believe me you want to avoid Via. Go A8N-xxx, much much better MB. My A8N-SLI Premium booted up my X2 4400+ np - zero problems.

Heres what we're going to do, you send the X2 to my house, and i'll send you my single core venice, you use that to flash to the latest bios and then... you never hear from me again.

Back