S27A750 or S27A950?

Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
36
I'm about to jump on one of these monitors, but my dilemma is this;

I have a GTX580 SLi setup at the moment, and neither of them have Displayports, so I either sell one of them and buy a GTX580 that has Displayport, so that I can use the S27A750, or I just buy the S27A950, and use the DVI-D connection. The easier option is definitely to get the S27A950, but I'm hesitant because I've heard that it's subpar compared to the S27A750, especially in regards to backlighting, and pinching where the neck of the monitor joins the bezel. Alot of reviews and user impressions seem to express this, and I've also read here alot of people are getting a pixel flickering issue on their 950's, whereas the 750 has none of these problems.

I'm quite torn, so any opinions or experience that anyone can offer would be a great help.

Thanks!
 
Hmm, I'm not sure about that backlight issue. It seems like it could be more on a case by case basis, technically they should all be using the same panel. My S23A700D has significant bleeding unfortunately.

Your other option is an ACTIVE dual link DVI to displayport adapter. Still quite an expensive proposition, but it is another avenue you could pursue if you really want the S23A750D and don't want to switch out one of your cards.

Something like this is what I am referring to (this was a quick search, there may be better, cheaper alternatives):

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-UltraAV-B087B-002B-DisplayPort-Dual-Link/dp/B002ISVI3U
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Will that active adapter really convert the 120Hz signal properly? I was looking at one at my local pc retailer, but I just imagined it wouldnt work.

EDIT: This is the adapter I was looking at. I noticed it says it converts to 1920x1080 @ 60Hz.
 
Last edited:
The one you have linked definitely won't. Unfortunately I'm not 100% certain the Accell will work, and in researching it came across this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1627590

In regards to miniDP to Dual link DVI for 120hz, but still relevant. It sounds like it may more trouble than it is worth, though no one tried the Accell in question.
 
I went with the 950. It was a bad idea. Terrible screen uniformity, backlight bleed is atrocious at the neck join. Can ALWAYS be seen. 2 stuck pixels. Not at all happy..
 
Back
Top