• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

S-VIDEO to Widescreen HDTV. Limitations?

Rootaah

n00b
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
44
My real estate company is planning to hang a HDTV in a lobby of a new office and wishes to connect it to a PC to run a picture slideshow of new homes for sale. Will using an S-VIDEO connection limit our resolution on the HDTV in anyway? The last thing I want to do is connect the PC and be restricted from using the HDTV correctly to display the pictures. I'm completely new to HDTV technology, so bare with me.

I'm also looking for a video card that will be sufficient to fit this need. Suggestions welcome.
 
Rootaah said:
My real estate company is planning to hang a HDTV in a lobby of a new office and wishes to connect it to a PC to run a picture slideshow of new homes for sale. Will using an S-VIDEO connection limit our resolution on the HDTV in anyway? The last thing I want to do is connect the PC and be restricted from using the HDTV correctly to display the pictures. I'm completely new to HDTV technology, so bare with me.

I'm also looking for a video card that will be sufficient to fit this need. Suggestions welcome.

Yes, you will have problems with s-video. The only 2 ways to have hdtv work correctly is through a DVI cable or through High Def Component Cable. If you have an ati video card, you can purchase a high def component out through the ati website. Not really sure about nvidia.
 
When you say problems, what do you mean exactly? I assume I will be able to see a picture, but it was my assumptions that I will be restricted to certain resolutions. Which actually may not be a problem since all we are going to do is slideshow new homes. I won't have weird black lines or blank areas on the display will I?

Trust me, I wanted to use DVI and/or VGA cables....but the township inspector for this new construction project went ape on fire-codes when we ran just a VGA cable through the wall. The VGA cable had to come out and specially ordered plenum VGA cable was needed with fire-proof connectors, wall jacks, inner wall boxes, etc. It was absolutely rediculous to hear what was required. So the owners asked me about S-VIDEO...well seeing that it can be run through CAT-5, that's what I am looking into. As long as the pictures look nice on the HDTV they are buying, I'll be comfortable.
 
Rootaah said:
When you say problems, what do you mean exactly? I assume I will be able to see a picture, but it was my assumptions that I will be restricted to certain resolutions. Which actually may not be a problem since all we are going to do is slideshow new homes. I won't have weird black lines or blank areas on the display will I?

Trust me, I wanted to use DVI and/or VGA cables....but the township inspector for this new construction project went ape on fire-codes when we ran just a VGA cable through the wall. The VGA cable had to come out and specially ordered plenum VGA cable was needed with fire-proof connectors, wall jacks, inner wall boxes, etc. It was absolutely rediculous to hear what was required. So the owners asked me about S-VIDEO...well seeing that it can be run through CAT-5, that's what I am looking into. As long as the pictures look nice on the HDTV they are buying, I'll be comfortable.

can you use cat5 cable for vga? i'm almost positive i've seen transceivers that will turn vga (hd15) to cat5 and back

try these links out

http://www.svideo.com/vgacat5.html
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/EXT-VGA-141.htm
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html
 
Rootaah said:
When you say problems, what do you mean exactly? I assume I will be able to see a picture, but it was my assumptions that I will be restricted to certain resolutions. Which actually may not be a problem since all we are going to do is slideshow new homes. I won't have weird black lines or blank areas on the display will I?

Trust me, I wanted to use DVI and/or VGA cables....but the township inspector for this new construction project went ape on fire-codes when we ran just a VGA cable through the wall. The VGA cable had to come out and specially ordered plenum VGA cable was needed with fire-proof connectors, wall jacks, inner wall boxes, etc. It was absolutely rediculous to hear what was required. So the owners asked me about S-VIDEO...well seeing that it can be run through CAT-5, that's what I am looking into. As long as the pictures look nice on the HDTV they are buying, I'll be comfortable.

Umm you can run VGA over Cat5 with a converter/extender
http://www.minicom.com/av_vdt.htm (just an example, I have not used this product)

DVI too: http://www.kvms.com/kvm_extenders/dvi_kvm_extenders.asp

==>Lazn
 
wireless setups for vga and comp video. CPU magazine had a long article about it end of last year. point is the equipment exists and you wouldnt have to go through walls

he said a new hdtv that edid only refers to older eqpmnt.

edit: also hes probably talking the 45" plasma screen with max resolution of 852x480p or somethign along those lines. and the known dvi issue is for res over 1280x1024.
and if all you want is a slide show any vid card will work. i might recommend the ati 9200 passively cooled VIVO feature that way you can do svideo comp video in /out plus it will be silent and you can just hooke like a vid cam to it and transfer pics or movies that way realy easily. ill post some links to vid cards in a sec

my 6800gt dvi works perfect on my 17" lcd 1 year old

svideo of course works by seperating the black and white colors the same as the 3way composite seperates 3 color fields.

anyhow i have terminally had problems with some screen lines with svideo ati/nvid/tv cards ps2, xbox, if svideo is ok the 3way comp video should also be okay they dont carry the heavy current like dvi. although certain cable brands use lots of insulation for interference and charge more. comp outputs are essentially just 3 rca style jacks.

if i were you id call that guys boss and put a stop to his tyrade. or have your boss write the town mayor that the fire guy is harrassing you and your customers and youll be happy to leave to normal town. cities income is very very dependent on new move ins. otherwise economy stagnates.
 
these are nvidia cinema cards that have svid/comp/hdtv composite outputs plus svid/comp inputs. plus some sleek software. ati has ok software but its oversized and clunky comparatively.

lots of good options
http://evga.com/products/prod_list.asp?switch=1&family=Personal+Cinema+Family

killer options great price. and you could game on it if you work late.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-102-345&DEPA=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-122-163&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-191&depa=0
 
Back
Top