• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

S-Video Or Component

AZBOOSTIN

Gawd
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
890
I am wonderinf ig there is a noticable difference between the two. I am wanting to hook my computer that has the 7800gt to my tv... is there a noticable difference?
 
Big difference in capabilites. Svid cannot do HD or even progressive scan 480. Component supports HD and just about any other resolution your TV can handle. Although if your TV cannot even deal with a 480P signal then you will not likely see much of a significant difference but if I had a choice it would definitley be component.
 
Svideo is 720x480 interlaced meaning that one line of data is rendered on the TV at a time. Basically it's the lowest you should go for descent video quality.

Component is Progressive meaning that two lines of data are being rendered at a time, this is what a PC moniter does. It can display 720x480 and above in progressive.

Go with component or DVI/HDMI everytime.
AZBOOSTIN said:
NO my tv isnt Hd
Then you're doing 480p (720x480p).
 
for component in do I need any special cables? I tried using standard rca cables.. and the color was all messed up is was almost black and white? or is there a setting I need to change
 
component is the 3 headed video. red blue and green cable markings. Composite is the yellow cable, often accompanied by red and white stereo audio. If you are trying to plug component inputs into the composite audio video you might see black and white results.
 
I see what you mean but im plugging it in to the right spots... just using white for blue yellow for green and red for red... I jsut didnt know if there was a physical difference in cables??
 
You can use RCA cables but just so you know componenet carries more data so the cables have extra shielding and such for it.
 
AZBOOSTIN said:
I see what you mean but im plugging it in to the right spots... just using white for blue yellow for green and red for red... I jsut didnt know if there was a physical difference in cables??
no, you can't do that. you are pluggin video cables into audio inputs. The colors are there so you can match them up. You don't have component inputs, you have composite. yellow video, red and white audio. the red/blue/green are all video, no audio.

svideo is your best bet.
 
As long as you're saying you have the blue/green/red inputs on the TV, then you can use any three RCA cables. You probably won't notice any difference in quality, especially if you're using it on a standard television.

-If the TV is showing black and white, chances are you don't have the card set up to output via component in the drivers.
 
CrimandEvil said:
Svideo is 720x480 interlaced meaning that one line of data is rendered on the TV at a time. Basically it's the lowest you should go for descent video quality.

Component is Progressive meaning that two lines of data are being rendered at a time, this is what a PC moniter does. It can display 720x480 and above in progressive.

Go with component or DVI/HDMI everytime.

Then you're doing 480p (720x480p).

Just to clarify a bit, not all tv's which accept a component input can do 480p and component output does not mean it is always 480p either. I still have 2 tvs in my house which are pure SD tvs and can only do 480i via component
 
HDMI\DVI > BNC\SCART > Component > Svideo > Composite RCA > Coax
 
My tv has component yes............... I was jsut wondering if I could use rca cables and it was answered thanks again.
 
oh, I see, I misunderstood the post before. I thought you were plugging the component cable into the composite. The reson I assumed that is that one of the component video cables is black and white if I remeber correctly.
 
for information, component doesn't separate colors.

One of the three cables is Lumi. meaning brightness. If you only plug the lumi cable in, you'll get black and white.

Another is color. Another is sync (i think?).

Svideo vs component for less than 50 foot runs of analog SD video is not noticable.

RCA cables that are Yellow-White-Red are for composite, however than can be used for component. Might not work as well as real cables, as typically the yellow cable is better build quality than white and red.

And analog formats don't have "resolution" settings. comsumer composite isn't the best, of course. composite is a composite of the two signals in svideo. color, and lumi. in a composite system, all sorts of filtering is required to decombine and recombe (COMB filters) a composite signal. Svideo gets around this by transporting the signals separately.

Broadcast composite is typically better quality than consumer component. the cables aren't NEARLY as important as the electronics.
 
Methodical said:
for information, component doesn't separate colors.

One of the three cables is Lumi. meaning brightness. If you only plug the lumi cable in, you'll get black and white.

Another is color. Another is sync (i think?).

Component is seperated into Luminance, Difference of Blue, and Difference of Red.

The Y connector (the green one) is your luminance, the PB and PR connectors are your difference of blue from the luminance and difference of red from luminance.

Sync is also carried on the Y cable as well as the luminance.
 
Back
Top