S.T.A.L.K.E.R. + Oblivion Lost mod = pwnage!!!

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
Ever since STALKER came out, I played it 3 times over since, and, honestly, was mostly like, meh...it was...okay...not great, like everyone has been saying over and over.

Last week, I got hold of a mod called Oblivion Lost, and I installed it and started the game again.

OMG. This is what STALKER should have been in the first place!!! It's totally amazing. The HDR and time elapse make it totally worth it, not to mention the weather, the new beasts to battle, and the cars to drive. There's just something about battling a full military attache at sunset, not realizing the time is elapsing, and then getting caught in the pitch black trying to make out your targets without turning on the flashlight (otherwise, you're toast).

Oh, and the weapons are just awesome. They sound much more realistic and diverse. Makes me want to keep playing!!!

It just felt really cool. I wonder why the game wasn't released like this? And who's responsible for making the Oblivion Lost mod? Are these guys the actual devs for the game? The mod sure makes it seem like that!

How do you edit the fsgame.ltx file? I tried opening it in notepad and wordpad but I get an error when I try to save it.

How do you edit the fsgame.ltx file? I tried opening it in notepad and wordpad but I get an error when I try to save it.

What error are you getting? All I did when I edited that file was choose File>Save. Not Save As. It worked fine.

What error are you getting? All I did when I edited that file was choose File>Save. Not Save As. It worked fine.

Cannot save ... Make sure that the path and file name are correct.

Edit: NM, I moved it to the desktop, edited it and moved it back and it worked.

Ever since STALKER came out, I played it 3 times over since, and, honestly, was mostly like, meh...it was...okay...not great, like everyone has been saying over and over.

Last week, I got hold of a mod called Oblivion Lost, and I installed it and started the game again.

OMG. This is what STALKER should have been in the first place!!! It's totally amazing. The HDR and time elapse make it totally worth it, not to mention the weather, the new beasts to battle, and the cars to drive. There's just something about battling a full military attache at sunset, not realizing the time is elapsing, and then getting caught in the pitch black trying to make out your targets without turning on the flashlight (otherwise, you're toast).

Oh, and the weapons are just awesome. They sound much more realistic and diverse. Makes me want to keep playing!!!

It just felt really cool. I wonder why the game wasn't released like this? And who's responsible for making the Oblivion Lost mod? Are these guys the actual devs for the game? The mod sure makes it seem like that!

The game wasn't released with those features because of time constraints. Everything you see in OL was already in vanilla Stalker but disabled. The modding community found the content and enabled it. It took a while before it was stable though. The team responsible for the mod are just gamers who love Stalker. OL has been around since fall of 2007.

Also,there is going to be a huge weapon pack coming this month that they are going to incorperate into the mod.

I haven't really played too much STALKER because I got distracted by other games but I am going to download this and give it another shot.

The game wasn't released with those features because of time constraints. Everything you see in OL was already in vanilla Stalker but disabled. The modding community found the content and enabled it. It took a while before it was stable though. The team responsible for the mod are just gamers who love Stalker. OL has been around since fall of 2007.

Also,there is going to be a huge weapon pack coming this month that they are going to incorperate into the mod.

That seems to make a lot of sense. I mean, I was thinking, the "changes" that the mod made were already deeply integrated into the game it almost felt natural, where as an actual mod makes it feel exactly what it is, an addition.

I think i will load this mod up, since i just beat Stalker this weekend.

A couple of questions:

Do I first install Stalker, then patch to 1.5, then install OL mod???

Any other recommended mods out there???

Don't forget to follow the instructions and modify the fsgame.ltx file. They also say you shouldn't install other mods with OL installed, so beware.

I can't wait to get home from work and try this mod out (and maybe beat Stalker for a third time).

A couple of questions:

Do I first install Stalker, then patch to 1.5, then install OL mod???

Any other recommended mods out there???

I am a big fan of S.H.A.R.P.E.R. textures and Float32.

Float32 alone will give you 20% increase in FPS with better bumpmapping

My personal game is highly modified Oblivion Lost that I've merged with like 10 other mods.

Man. You make this sound so sweet.

I bought stalker on the release, but played maybe it a total of maybe 1 or 2 hours.

I think I will install it right now and Download this mod. Sounds intriguing! :D

Wow, a lot of people only play for an hour or two. Not that I blame them - the game doesn't take off until you rescue Mole. It kinda sucks though. Maybe STALKER would have been more popular if the pace picked up sooner?

... - the game doesn't take off until you rescue Mole.

No spoilers!!! That's what I was talking about when I described the battle against the military attache!!! I wanted to do it discreetly without giving anything away! :p

Anyhow, since the weather and time is totally dynamic, it would never be one way. Every scenario can be different, given what weapon you have and the environment around you.

stalker was an ok game, different from other fps games ive played and was more like oblivion but FPS. I thought it was kinda fun getting all the guns and the armours but nothing overly special (although i have to say it IS special) :D

damn i have to try this mod

I installed this mod, along with the ultra high graphics mod (which kind of seems to blur distant objects, but I like this) and it almost feels like I'm playing a new/different release of this game in a really good way.

I installed this mod, along with the ultra high graphics mod (which kind of seems to blur distant objects, but I like this) and it almost feels like I'm playing a new/different release of this game in a really good way.

Ditto. I played all last night, and it felt like I was playing a new game.

guys, remember that STALKER uses deferred shading for AA. It's not like regular AA. Make sure you have it on slider 3 or 4. It'll smooth out all the trees and foliage and grass.

You can force regular AA on top of that to get rid of jaggies. Used together it's beautiful.

Random blowouts are the most amazing thing to experience in Oblivion Lost.
ssjeremyng053108015215loo1.jpg

Where are most users downloading this mod from?

Is this mod verified to work with Vista 64?

I just started playing Stalker, so a little bump in performance and visuals is worth starting the game over.

TIA

Where are most users downloading this mod from?

Is this mod verified to work with Vista 64?

I just started playing Stalker, so a little bump in performance and visuals is worth starting the game over.

TIA

Sigh, there's google and that little button called search up there. I've posted this so many times already...

Do you have a link to all of these mods? It's to bad they just don't make them in one big 'pack'.

float32 1. http://www.thefloatingpoint.org/main/download.php?view.24
S.H.A.R.P.E.R-Textures 2. http://nekomoon.online.fr/stalker/S.H.A.R.P.E.R-Textures.v.0.95.rar
Oblivion Lost 3. http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Oblivion_Lost;89584

Oblivion Lost already includes many of the separate mods all combined into one. Bugs are all fixed. Game has never ever crashed on me, most stable game in my system. Runs silky smooth at 4x AA. Use the in-game AA which is deferred shading, it's similar to the EdgeAA of Crysis for smoothing foliage, etc. You can use that in conjuction with standard AA by forcing it outside of the game but make sure the slider for AA in the game is at least at the 3rd setting, it makes everything beautiful.

Oblivion Lost already includes many of the separate mods all combined into one. Bugs are all fixed. Game has never ever crashed on me, most stable game in my system. Runs silky smooth at 4x AA. Use the in-game AA which is deferred shading, it's similar to the EdgeAA of Crysis for smoothing foliage, etc. You can use that in conjuction with standard AA by forcing it outside of the game but make sure the slider for AA in the game is at least at the 3rd setting, it makes everything beautiful.

I had to restrain from using any AA at all, because on my 8800GTS (320MB) version, it gets way too full too soon, and starts hitching badly enough to detract from the gameplay. I'll double check on the in-game AA setting to make sure it's set to at least 3.

I had to restrain from using any AA at all, because on my 8800GTS (320MB) version, it gets way too full too soon, and starts hitching badly enough to detract from the gameplay. I'll double check on the in-game AA setting to make sure it's set to at least 3.

That's odd because this game is very smooth for me and my 8800GT which isn't that much faster than your GTS 320. You have A MUCH, MUCH FASTER SYSTEM THAN ME.

The in-game AA is not regular AA, it should not impact performance.

Also, are you using float32? It's supposed to speed up framerate by 30%. The default vanilla game code is a little inefficient, float32 redoes it.

That's odd because this game is very smooth for me and my 8800GT which isn't that much faster than your GTS 320. You have A MUCH, MUCH FASTER SYSTEM THAN ME.

The in-game AA is not regular AA, it should not impact performance.

Also, are you using float32? It's supposed to speed up framerate by 30%. The default vanilla game code is a little inefficient, float32 redoes it.

While that might be true, the graphics it seems is the ceiling for performance measurement in the case of this game. Your 8800GT smacks the crap out of my 8800GTS for sure.

I was using conventional AA, forced via nHancer. I had to disable it because it was too hitchy.

I am using float32, and you are correct, it DOES indeed make the game much smoother than the original code.

While that might be true, the graphics it seems is the ceiling for performance measurement in the case of this game. Your 8800GT smacks the crap out of my 8800GTS for sure.

I was using conventional AA, forced via nHancer. I had to disable it because it was too hitchy.

I am using float32, and you are correct, it DOES indeed make the game much smoother than the original code.

Yeah okay, just drop conventional AA and try the in-game AA slider (deferred shading). It basically make things look blurry whenever it detects an edge (instead of smoothing like real AA) but when you're talking about a pixely jagged bush - blurry is good.

I stay away from using the in-game AA slider on max (4) because it makes everything a little too blurry for my own tastes but it's all up to you. That's what I use it on the 3rd setting.

My 9600GT also fails when trying to force regular 4xAA. I go from 30-50FPS without AA, to 5-7FPS with 4xAA. I can get away with 2xAA... but 20-30FPS feels to slow in this game. This is at 1680x1050. But I've got a 20'' monitor as opposed to a 22'', so jaggies are far less noticeable on my screen. :)

I just went through (and still am) in my first night scene. Talk about difficult! When it's cloudy, you can barely see at all. The thing that seems to bug me here is, when it's pitch black, the enemy seems to detect me a bit too easily. I should be able to sneak around a lot easier. If this could be fixed, STALKER will be perfect. Otherwise, go to sleep. wait for the moon to show, or for it clear up, so you can at least see what's going on, or just sleep until dawn.

I don't think I've had a blowout yet either... looking forward to one!

I just went through (and still am) in my first night scene. Talk about difficult! When it's cloudy, you can barely see at all. The thing that seems to bug me here is, when it's pitch black, the enemy seems to detect me a bit too easily. I should be able to sneak around a lot easier. If this could be fixed, STALKER will be perfect. Otherwise, go to sleep. wait for the moon to show, or for it clear up, so you can at least see what's going on, or just sleep until dawn.

I don't think I've had a blowout yet either... looking forward to one!

That's weird. For me, the enemy did seem to get stupider as it got darker. Since I LOVE LOVE LOVE dark games (Doom, Thief, Heretic, etc.), it was very natural for me to basically slaughter them. Once the night falls, it's my realm. :D

Oh yeah, the blowouts are pretty cool. The first time I experienced it, I freaked out running all over the place not knowing what the hell was going on. Imagine you in the midst of an important firefight and a blowout occurs. :eek:

pics?

I tried in another thread. Pics won't do it justice. It's about the cinematic experience as day turns to night or day turns into nightmare as the reactor blowouts randomly occur and you (and every other living thing) need to seek shelter ASAP or die. The sun gets blotted out and suddenly the sky is on fire.

Got caught in the middle of a blowout...and saved the game. :( Screwed!!! I have to start over!

Where were you? Find some cover, find a large building and get to the center of it. If you see other NPCs running, follow them to whereever they are huddling.

Even more fun, if you already are in shelter with your teammates, DENY ENTRY TO THE OTHER GUYS (who are desperate to get inside). Just shoot and blow them up and pin them down to die outside as the blowout occurs.

Blowouts also change the locations of anomalies so watch it. One time, I had one of those electrical and fire pillar anomalies (burner) right outside the underground entrance to the Cordon Trader. I had jump inside from behind.

guys, remember that STALKER uses deferred shading for AA. It's not like regular AA. Make sure you have it on slider 3 or 4. It'll smooth out all the trees and foliage and grass.

You can force regular AA on top of that to get rid of jaggies. Used together it's beautiful.

Random blowouts are the most amazing thing to experience in Oblivion Lost.
ssjeremyng053108015215loo1.jpg
I knew stalker engine had potential just not this much
is this mod compatible with abc mod and merchant mod?

I just re-installed this as well, man is it gorgeous with that mod + the sharper textures, but I have one problem - The game stutters every 20 or so seconds, no matter what is goin on on-screen. Any fix for this? Im on vista x64, and have tried every setting in the game, no matter the detail levels I still stutter. What gives?

I knew stalker engine had potential just not this much
is this mod compatible with abc mod and merchant mod?

Dont try it. ABC is another global mod like OL. It includes way to many changes to be compatible. You will crash alot, if you could even start the game. Just pull your gamedata folder and the saves related to ABC and put them somewhere safe. Then install OL :)

I just re-installed this as well, man is it gorgeous with that mod + the sharper textures, but I have one problem - The game stutters every 20 or so seconds, no matter what is goin on on-screen. Any fix for this? Im on vista x64, and have tried every setting in the game, no matter the detail levels I still stutter. What gives?

This is a common issue in Stalker, you could try turning off the prefetch, just add -noprefetch to the end of the shortcut, other wise there are some other tweaks here:
http://www.tweakguides.com/STALKER_1.html you may need to do more tweaking to get rid of the stutter.

Mine does the same, does this have something to do with Vista x64?

Back