• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

S-PVA panels and blacks

Whitebread

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
1,363
I have a Gateway FPD2185W with the notorious S-PVA panel. This panel has the weird problem of displaying murky blacks straight on while maintaining a higher contrast at higher viewing angles. It isn't that noticable when looking at certain images or when doing normal computer work, but watching DVDs is not that ejoyable. I set the monitor up to the best of my ability (I donno how much that is worth) but DVDs are still not that great and I can still se more detail when I look from the side. Is ther any other choice to help imporve this problem besides blowing the gamma up? I want to make this monitor perform well, I paid 500 dollars for it.
 
There's nothing you can do about seeing more detail from an angle. I've owned 2 pva panels and they both did it. You should read an article over at Xbit labs which describes the different lcd technologies. From what I remember, with PVA panels, some part of the panel is placed at a 45 degree angle, to increase viewing angle. That is why pva panels have just about a 180degree horizontal viewing angle. The side affect is that you end up being able to see more detail at an angle. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it. My dell 2405fpw does it also, as did my Samsung 172T.
 
O wow. I was thinking that getting the Dell widescreen (21 or 24 inch) would have been better but I guess not. It seems I'd have to spend 1500+ dollars to get a really good LCD. I don't feel so bad now.

Making movies and picturers look good requires tweeking in the individual vewing program,, but I guess that's what it takes. Stuff doesn't look bad at all once it's dialed in.
 
Good lcds are either PVA (like we both have) or S-IPS. Problem with S-IPS panels though is that the contrast ratio isn't as good and when viewing from an angle, blacks take on a pinkish hue. I'd much rather stick with the PVA panel.
 
I guess I'm just realizing that LCDs really aren't as great as CRTs. O well. I can wait for SED.
 
Back
Top