S/PDIF Optical from Xbox 360 to PC

GaleForce

Gawd
I'm trying to use my Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speakers for my Xbox 360. I know I can go out and buy a receiver or that decoder product creative makes, but I think I have figured out a much cheaper way that'll work for my situation and was wondering if that was the case. The Xbox 360 cable has an optical S/PDIF out port on it. I'm currently running a Shuttle SN25P which has both optical in and out. Could I run a cable directly from the Xbox to the Shuttle's optical in port and play the sound over my computer's speakers?

Possibly, Your digital inputs on the Shuttle are most likely only 2 channel input. I am unsure but your X-Box may contain a encoded surround output. They may not be compatible or you may be able to set the output on the X-Box. Try it out you won't hurt anything. The only thing you may have to worry about is latency. -Delayed sound...

Well I know for a fact that the Xbox 360 is 5.1 compatible and the only possibly audio port that exists, apart from the component stereo cables, is a S/PDIF output located on the big plug that plugs into the back of the 360. As for my Shuttle, I also know for a fact that it supports 5.1 audio. I have Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speakers currently hooked up but I'm using analog inputs. I can't imagine the analog inputs being 5.1 exclusive and the digital inputs being stereo only. Now if only I could find a local retailer who sells a cable ~15 ft in length.

Back